The best email hosting providers deliver a critical service with speed and reliability. Given the communication method’s widespread popularity and massive convenience, it can be easy to underestimate emails and the importance of finding the perfect platform.
Signing up for a free email hosting service, such as Gmail, Yahoo, or Hotmail, is simple. But when it comes time to create a professional email address and build the credibility needed to have your messages stand out from the crowd, you’ll want to invest in a powerful — yet still affordable — hosting provider.
Business emails currently make up nearly 140 billion of the messages sent and received each day, with each person opening, reading, and responding to roughly 120 emails daily. Whether you’re looking for unlimited email accounts, tremendous customer support, or the double whammy of email and website hosting, we’ll show you the best when it comes to email hosting services.
1. A2 Hosting – Best Overall Email Hosting Provider
As the kings of speed, A2 Hosting tops the list as our favorite email host. Each user account is loaded up with all the popular features you’d expect, like POP3, IMAP, and SMTP support, as well as spam protection, filters, and autoresponders. Coupled with the company’s ultra-fast Turbo Server configuration, A2 Hosting’s web and email hosting plans boast loading and delivery times up to 20 times faster than those of competitors.
- Price: $3.92 per month for email and web hosting
- Inboxes: Base plan comes with 25 email accounts, others are unlimited
- Attachments: 50MB maximum from shared and reseller servers
- Custom domain: Transfer or new domains available for $14.95 per year
- Other features: Pre-installed webmail clients, SpamAssassin protection, plus more than 20 choices for an email client, newsletter managers, and other available software applications
In addition to A2 Hosting’s 99.9% uptime guarantee and around-the-clock customer support, the hosting provider goes above and beyond when it comes to the software needed to check, read, and send messages. Users can choose from three pre-installed webmail clients or choose to add one of several others. Businesses will want to check out the applications contact forms, newsletters, and subscriber management, all of which are available via one-click installation
- FREE software for webmail, newsletters, contact forms, list management, and spam filtering
- Unlimited addresses with forwarding & autoresponders
- Secure POP3, IMAP, and SMTP messaging
- Unlimited storage and transfer with FREE SSL
- Get more than 50% off today (was $7.99/month)
- Get started on A2 Hosting now.
2. Bluehost – Best Email Hosting for Small Business
One of the most trusted brands in web hosting, Bluehost gives customers several email hosting solutions from which to choose. As do many providers on this list, Bluehost includes unlimited email inboxes for free as part of its web hosting plans. Bluehost accounts come with unlimited SSD storage, bandwidth, and domains, plus an SSL certificate and 24/7 support.
- Price: $2.95/month for email and web hosting; $2.99/user per month for Microsoft Office 365
- Inboxes: Starts with five email accounts and 100MB inboxes, most plans are unlimited; Office 365 accounts come with 15-50GB mailboxes
- Attachments: 50MB (35MB is recommended); Office 365 limit is 25MB
- Custom domain: Included FREE for one year of web hosting services or connect your own
- Other features: Spam Experts and Postini filters, malware protection,
Those looking for business email hosting may prefer to add Microsoft Office 365 to their plan. Bluehost gives most shared hosting customers a free 30-day trial license to see if the upgrade is worthwhile, but don’t forget to opt out of any renewals if you don’t want the extra fee. We love Office 365 for the added productivity and collaboration tools like calendars, spreadsheets, and task lists. Learn more about Bluehost’s email offerings here:
- FREE domain and unlimited emails
- Secure email with 3 webmail solutions
- $200 in advertising credits with Google and Bing
- Google app integration available
- FREE Office 365 mailbox for your first 30 days
- Get started on Bluehost now.
3. iPage – Best Domain and Email Hosting Service
Known for budget-friendly hosting services, iPage boasts a surprising range of email options. The web host’s lone plan comes with unlimited email addresses and the Roundcube webmail client. Inboxes automatically max out at 500MB, but customers can pay to upgrade all the way to 10 GB mailboxes. As one of our favorite domain hosting providers, iPage is a natural pairing for custom email addresses.
- Price: $1.99/month for email and web hosting
- Inboxes: Unlimited addresses with 500MB mailboxes (about 10,000 email messages)
- Attachments: 32MB maximum
- Custom domain: FREE registration or transfer with an annual hosting plan
- Other features: Hosted Exchange servers, G Suite subscription upgrade, plus unlimited disk space and domains, customizable spam filters, and virus scans
We usually think of iPage as being a great starting point for beginners, but the company actually provides a lot of hidden value for business users — the company is our top choice for hosted Exchange servers, which are available as a premium add-on. A Microsoft Exchange server covers all the functionality of IMAP (the protocol for accessing your email messages from various devices) but includes more business-friendly features.
- FREE site transfers and 1-year domain registration
- Unlimited domains, disk space, and email addresses
- Email forwarding, autoresponders, and webmail
- Market your site with $200 in ad credits and SEO tools
- FREE online store and site-building tools
- Get started on iPage now.
4. InMotion Hosting – Best Spam Protection Service
Featuring advanced technologies wrapped in user-friendly packaging, InMotion Hosting excels at providing loads of value for customers at affordable rates. All of the company’s hosting plans include its proprietary and real-time SpamSafe protection, which monitors an immense portion of the world’s email traffic to identify sources of spam before it comes into InMotion Hosting’s network.
- Price: $3.99 per month
- Inboxes: Unlimited accounts and mailboxes (configured to 250MB by default)
- Attachments: 50MB maximum
- Custom domain: Connect your own, transfer for FREE, or new domains for $12.99
- Other features: 90-day money-back guarantee, SpamSafe protection, malware protection, easy Google Apps integration
Even better, InMotion Hosting is among the best when it comes to providing earnest and thorough support. In addition to a hassle-free zero-downtime website transfer and 24/7 availability via live chat, phone, and email tickets, the host’s knowledge base is full of helpful guides for changing your MX record, setting up an email client, and other communication settings.
- FREE domain registration or no-downtime transfer
- Unlimited SPAM Safe™ email with IMAP
- 1-click app installer and FREE marketing tools
- Business-class hardware and ecommerce-ready
- SSD storage plus FREE data backups and SSL security
- Get started on InMotion now.
5. SiteGround – Best Customer Support
Beyond delivering top-notch hosting hardware and stellar support, SiteGround promises speedy and secure SMTP, POP3, and IMAP messages. The company ranks among the best email hosting providers particularly thanks to its custom-built technologies for speed, security, and efficient troubleshooting. About 90% of all customer issues are resolved at first contact, with SiteGround promising prompt responses to all chat, phone, or email ticket inquiries.
- Price: $3.95 per month for email and web hosting
- Inboxes: Unlimited accounts with mailbox quotas that max out between 2GB and 6GB
- Attachments: 80MB maximum, or 50MB when sending through a webmail client
- Custom domain: Connect your own, transfer, or register a new one for $15.95
- Other features: Pre-installed Roundcube and Horde, cloud storage, cPanel management for forwarding and aliases, plus SpamExperts protection and free CloudFlare CDN
SiteGround operates its platform via Google Cloud hosting to provide additional redundancy and scalability. Each hosting account comes with SSD disk space, automatic daily backups, and the user-friendly cPanel interface for setting up inboxes, filters, autoresponders, and aliases. We also appreciate how the partnership with Google echoes a commitment to carbon neutrality and 100% renewable energy returns. Learn more about SiteGround here:
- Unlimited email hosting at your domain
- Compatible with multiple webmail and email clients
- Secure email protocols and integrated anti-SPAM solutions
- Easy management via cPanel with FREE website builder
- Ideal for business email hosting with 99.9% uptime
- Get started on SiteGround now.
6. InterServer – Cheapest Email Hosting
When it comes to cheap email hosting that still provides all the features and scalability site owners need, look no further than InterServer. The company’s email service, which comes with all the standard website hosting tools, includes unlimited storage, spam and virus protection, and a stellar 100% uptime guarantee. InterServer takes a hands-on, user-friendly approach to innovative technologies that deliver results without breaking the bank.
- Price: $0.01 for the first month, then $0.01 monthly
- Inboxes: Unlimited accounts with massive 25GB mailboxes
- Attachments: 50MB maximum (35MB recommended)
- Custom domain: FREE transfer, new domain for $1.99, or connect your own
- Other features: Guaranteed email delivery, free migration, unlimited aliases, group lists, and forwarding, plus available upgrades for archiving and file storage
In addition to the massive mailboxes, we appreciate InterServer for its end-to-end email encryption and anonymous email service, plus custom-built malware and brute-force protection programs. The company is a rare email provider compared to the many hosts that typically look to lock new customers into long-term deals. The company instead operates solely on month-to-month hosting contracts without price increases. Sound appealing? Sign up by clicking the button below:
Already offering a solid web-and-email hosting combination, Hostinger partnered with Flock in late 2019 to better serve small businesses and power users. As a business productivity app creator, Flock delivers a collaboration platform with advanced search functionality, videoconferencing, and calendars. These email plans, priced per user, come with huge mailboxes, at least two mail filters, antivirus scans, and up to 50 email aliases.
- Price: $2.15/month for email and web hosting; $0.99 to $2.49/month per mailbox for business email hosting
- Inboxes: Base plan comes with one inbox, other hosting plans come with unlimited accounts; business email service comes with 10GB-30GB mailboxes
- Attachments: 25MB maximum
- Custom domain: FREE domain registration with annual plan
- Other features: Built-in email migration tool, Flock apps integrations, multi-device support, SSD storage, custom control panel, 24/7 support, and weekly backups
For those looking for more straightforward email service, Hostinger represents another remarkably affordable option that resonates with more than 29 million customers worldwide. The base plan, which is regularly priced at less than $1 per month, restricts site owners to just one email account. Whichever plan you choose, though, you’ll be well served with high-performance hardware and surprisingly attentive support.
As champions of unlimited hosting, HostGator doesn’t track how much server storage or bandwidth a user consumes. That luxury naturally extends to unlimited email hosting, where customers can create unlimited POP3 email accounts with SMTP and IMAP support. Check your mail from anywhere with any device, or enjoy the ready-to-go Roundcube and Horde webmail clients.
- Price: $2.64 per month for email and web hosting
- Inboxes: Unlimited addresses with unmetered storage
- Attachments: 50MB for Linux servers, 35MB for Windows users
- Custom domain: FREE domain registration or transfer with annual plans
- Other features: SpamAssassin protection, unlimited aliases, autoresponders, and forwarding, along with a 45-day money-back guarantee
Given the company’s expertise in providing high-grade hosting environments, HostGator represents the first email hosting service on our list that also accommodates Windows aficionados. The email host offers all the services you’d expect, including weekly off-site backups, and even offers an upgraded integration with G Suite for those who want the familiar Gmail interface.
As one of the industry’s most eco-friendly web hosting providers, GreenGeeks returns three times the energy its servers consume back to the power grid in the form of renewable energy credits. That feel-good story aside, though, GreenGeeks offers strong service in the form of SSD storage and unlimited inboxes, forwarders, and aliases.
- Price: $2.95 per month for web and email hosting
- Inboxes: Unlimited mailboxes are set to 250MB by default but can be set to unlimited
- Attachments: 50MB maximum
- Custom domain: FREE domain name registration or transfer with annual plan
- Other features: Free daily backups, built-in spam filtering, real-time virus and malware scanning, and proactive server monitoring
With GreenGeeks, each user can send his or her email messages securely via sendmail or SMTP and access inboxes through IMAP or POP3. The email host relies on familiar technologies like cPanel to enable you to easily manage and scale your inboxes as needed. If you get stuck, you can always turn to the team’s always-available support agents.
As the world’s largest web hosting company, GoDaddy is responsible for more than 77 million domain names. So, it stands to reason the hosting giant is a popular choice for providing among the best email hosting plans, as well. In addition to the standard webmail-driven email accounts that come with web hosting plans, GoDaddy also offers professional email plans and Microsoft Office 365 hosting services.
- Price: $1.00/month for web and email hosting; $1.99/month per user for professional email; or $7.99/month per user for Office 365
- Inboxes: Unlimited email accounts; professional mailboxes start at 10GB of storage
- Attachments: 20MB maximum
- Custom domain: FREE domain or transfer with annual plan
- Other features: Fraud, spam, and virus protection, along with 256-bit encryption, webmail or Microsoft Exchange mailboxes, and optional HIPAA compliance via Office 365
Interestingly, GoDaddy provides new web hosting customers with a full year of a 5GB Office 365 mailbox. We love the idea of giving communicators a glimpse into Microsoft’s email and productivity platform, but those not wanting to spend the high renewal rates will want to make sure to cancel the service within the year. Businesses especially will appreciate GoDaddy’s scalable and secure email services.
As the hosting provider of choice for more than 60% of the Fortune 100 and one of the most trusted brands for business-grade hosting, Rackspace is clearly a top choice for those serious about their sending power. The company’s in-house email hosting service is among the best you’ll find anywhere, with Rackspace’s massive 25GB mailboxes, unlimited aliases and forwarding, and a 100% uptime guarantee.
- Price: Starts at $2.99/month per user and comes with a 14-day FREE trial; Office 365 plans begin at $5/month per user, and hosted Exchange begins at $10.99/month per user
- Inboxes: 25GB mailboxes with unlimited aliases
- Attachments: 50MB maximum
- Custom domain: Connect you own or register a new domain for $10
- Other features: IMAP support for Outlook, mobile, and webmail access, plus free migrations, 100% uptime guarantee, and premium spam and virus protection
In addition to the user-friendly Rackspace email server, the company offers both Microsoft Office 365 and a hosted Exchange service for businesses seeking additional collaboration and productivity. By helping businesses move their Exchange server into the cloud, Rackspace alleviates the extra cost and headaches associated with managing the complicated on-premises architecture.
12. Office 365
As is evident by the number of top email hosting providers offering premium upgrades to Microsoft Office 365, the cloud-based software suite is a go-to email hosting service for those looking to move beyond basic hosting services. Communicators can cut out the middleman and go straight to the source for high-quality Office 365 service.
- Price: $69.99/year for personal use or starting at $8.25/user per month for businesses
- Inboxes: One 50GB mailbox per license
- Attachments: 150MB maximum (but be careful: many other email clients only accept 50MB attachments)
- Custom domain: Connect your own (check out our list of top domain registrars)
- Other features: Enjoy Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook, and PowerPoint, plus 60 minutes of Skype calls per month and 1TB of file storage in OneDrive
As you can see, Microsoft Office 365 goes far beyond just the Microsoft Outlook email client. The comprehensive service is perfectly suited for both individual users, small businesses, and even large-scale operations. Even though Office 365 isn’t your typical email hosting service, the platform is still backed by a 99.9% uptime guarantee and 24/7 support.
13. G Suite
Google’s answer to cloud-based productivity, collaboration, and communication, G Suite extends the ever-popular Gmail email client into instant messaging, videoconferencing, and scheduling for individuals and businesses. The email host’s entry-level plan allocates an impressive 30GB of mailbox space to each user, which becomes unlimited as you upgrade your service.
- Price: $6.00 per user per month, up to $25 per user per month for enterprise organizations
- Inboxes: Basic plan comes with a 30GB mailbox, otherwise storage is unlimited
- Attachments: 25MB sending maximum, 50MB for receiving
- Custom domain: Connect your own or register a new domain for $12.00 per year
- Other features: Spam filtering and virus blocking tools, IMAP and POP support, offline editor, built-in migration tools, plus video conferencing, shared calendars, and Google Docs, Sheets, Slides, Forms, and a site builder
G Suite, which is a little cheaper than Office 365, also offers a more cohesive and seamless domain name registration experience for those looking to create a new custom address. We’re especially fond of the administrative controls users can have over their email server, as well: two-step verification, single sign-on, and endpoint management all enable businesses to keep their data secure.
Closing out our list of the best email hosting providers is another cloud-based alternative to the powerhouses from Microsoft and Google. Zoho may not enjoy the same name recognition or clout as the others, but more than 50 million global users can vouch for the effectiveness of Zoho Mail and the Zoho Workplace suite of apps, including services for file management, chatting, online training, and virtual meetings.
- Price: $1/month per user for just email hosting service; $3/month per user for the complete suite of applications
- Inboxes: 30GB mail storage per user
- Attachments: 20MB maximum for most customers; advanced plans enable users to attach a file of up to 250MB to send as a link
- Custom domain: Connect your own or register a new domain for $10 per year
- Other features: Email routing, folder sharing, offline access, message recall, hosted Exchange ActiveSync, mobile applications, and developer tools for custom integrations
In addition to the standard IMAP and POP support you’d expect, Zoho Mail comes with support for Windows and Android devices, along with developer-friendly tools to extend functionality even further. When you add in Zoho Workplace’s full suite of word processing, spreadsheet, and other software programs, Zoho quickly becomes a more cost-effective option for cost-conscious organizations.
What is Email Hosting?
Still not sure what you’re looking for? Email vs. web hosting plans are fairly similar, but the comparison can get a little confusing at times. Generally speaking, all hosting services entail renting space on a server to store files and securely transmit that information to your audience — whether it’s website files or email messages.
Most website hosting plans include at least one free email hosting account and the basic spam filter, virus protection, and free domain registration — but they can be a bit too simple for large businesses. Be sure to find web and email hosting providers that support an IMAP mail server, like SiteGround, which enables you to send and retrieve your emails from any device or location. The older protocol, POP, deletes messages from the server once they’re retrieved and restricts communicators to using only one device.
For those who need a little more firepower with their email server, hosting services like Office 365, G Suite, and Zoho typically offer larger mailboxes, more protections, and software to help you manage projects and collaborate with others. Plus, they each come with a popular and familiar email client: Outlook, Gmail, or Zoho Mail. These options will be more expensive but can bring even greater value than consolidating all your hosting services with one provider.
How Much Should Email Hosting Cost?
It’s hard to argue with free. Zero-cost email hosting is generally a surprisingly good bet, considering the storage and sending capacities you get with Gmail, Yahoo, and Hotmail accounts.
For those willing to stray from the traditional hosting account, Zoho actually offers an impressive free service for up to five users on a custom domain. Email accounts come with 5GB per inbox and 25MB attachment limit. You’ll be limited to webmail access only, but Zoho offers an intriguing and cost-effective glimpse into business-class email hosting.
Professional email hosting providers lend your inbox a sense of legitimacy by replacing Google, Zoho, or Yahoo’s company name with your custom domain. Considering nearly 60% of adults check their email first thing in the morning, email communications represent a major part of your online presence — it’s not worth screwing up.
That’s why we typically recommend spending at least a few dollars on an email service that comes with everything you need to succeed. Zoho’s entry-level plan costs just $1 per month per user, or be sure to check out email accounts from Bluehost and SiteGround — they offer unlimited sending power for less than $5 per month.
Which Business Email Service is the Best?
While combining your email service with a web hosting plan works great for individuals, freelancers, bloggers, and small businesses, larger organizations will probably want to opt for one of the best email hosting plans for businesses.
Email hosting providers, including Rackspace, Office 365, G Suite, Rackspace, and even Zoho, will likely be a more expensive route, but you can expect to receive premium IMAP support, spam and virus protection, server monitoring, and stellar uptime. Determining which service works best depends on each organization’s requirements, budget, and familiarity.
When breaking down the best email hosting for businesses, G Suite holds a pretty clear lead over Office 365 when it comes to popularity, with about 57% of the market choosing Google’s service. Zoho is a more cost-effective option that still has all the same features.
Freelancers and smaller businesses, however, will likely appreciate the efficiency and savings associated with adding an email hosting service and email marketing tools through their web host. With their low-cost, high-value plans, Zoho, SiteGround, and Bluehost meet these needs with aplomb.
What to Look for When Choosing an Email Hosting Service
More than a third of the world’s population operates an active email account, with business addresses accounting for roughly 25% of all inboxes. Professionals and marketers consistently rank email as the preferred communication method for business-oriented messages, identifying the messages as the most effective tactic for growing awareness, acquisition, conversion, and retention.
As you may imagine, the best email hosting enables you to maximize your success by connecting with potential clients and customers. Reliable communications, courtesy of your email host, helps you build trust, troubleshoot any problems, and build brand loyalty. Here are some key metrics to look for, and the specific features you’ll need:
- Security: Virus scans, anti-malware measures, and spam filters are a start. Automatic daily backups and HIPAA or FISMA compliance are even better.
- Ease of use: 24/7 customer service via phone, chat, and email, plus an intuitive online interface and pre-configured webmail clients.
- Storage: Unlimited is always good, scalable plans are even better. Look for hosts that offer archiving services.
- Compatibility: Email users’ four favorite letters: IMAP. That protocol enables you to check your inbox from phones, tablets, and computers from anywhere. Keep an eye out for providers that explain how to set up your mail clients or mobile apps.
When searching for the best server for your email accounts, pay attention to the features and functionalities associated with custom domain names. Whether you’re an individual seeking a new job or starting a small business, a professional email address lends you more credibility and authority — meaning your messages will be more likely to be opened, read, and responded to. Happy sending!