Much like buying a car, shopping for the fastest VPS hosting is all about what’s under the hood. Components, such as solid-state drives, caching services, a content delivery network (CDN), and support for modern programming languages and protocols, all fuel a high-octane hosting experience.
Getting that quick jump off the starting line can be a big deal for online businesses, as even minor increases in page load time can negatively affect conversions, page views, SEO, and revenue. According to AB Tasty, a two-second delay can double a website’s bounce rate, and 75% of users will likely drop off once page load time reaches three seconds.
Although much of the pressure to get your VPS cruising at top speed falls on how you configure things, fast web hosts are the mechanics that provide the equipment supporting your speed demon dreams. Let’s rank the top 13 fastest VPS hosts and answer any questions you may have.
1. InMotion Hosting — SSD VPS Hosting
Our speed rankings combine the relatively obvious (e.g., free solid-state drives and tools for caching and content delivery networks) to more obscure features such as HTTP/2 support and access to a qualified hosting expert who can lend tailored advice on how to optimize your site’s performance. Once that initial round of testing provided us with a list of finalists, we ran each service through Pingdom, Google PageSpeed, and other services to measure performance.
- Performance-boosting features: SSDs, proprietary caching controls, CDN, NGINX, and support for PHP 7 and HTTP/2
- Also known for: Max Speed Zones (choice of server location), Launch Assist (two hours of dedicated time with a SysAdmin), and Smart Routing optimization
The company’s all-SSD infrastructure has been on our radar for a long time. According to InMotion’s benchmarks, the host’s SAS 15K storage drives push out 95% more data than 1TB Samsung SSDs and process data up to 20 times faster than traditional hard-disk drives.
Learn more about the company’s impressive offerings — from hyper-performant servers to uber-responsive live chat support — by clicking on our review below.
- HostingAdvice readers get 73% off the first term
- FREE site migrations and 2 hours of Launch Assist
- 2 – 3 dedicated IP address options
- FREE cPanel/WHM licenses included
- Highly available servers with real-time redundancy
- Get started on InMotion now.
2. Hostinger — Cheap VPS Hosting with Optimal Speed
Hostinger excels at offering an attractive price-to-performance ratio for projects of all sizes and technical difficulties. Providing highly configurable VPS packages, Hostinger puts flexibility and user experience at the forefront. The fast-growing hosting company already serves more than 29 million customers and experiences 15,000 new signups each day.
- Performance-boosting features: All-SSD hardware, pre-installed caching, NGINX, and support for PHP 7.1 and HTTP/2
- Also known for: Dedicated IPv6 support, free shared hosting via 000webhost
Hostinger isn’t yet known for its managed support, but we can certainly appreciate dedicated IP addresses and full root access. Customers can get up to eight CPU cores with 8GB of memory. Offering a price that’s hard to beat, Hostinger is an up-and-coming unmanaged VPS hosting provider that sneaks under many people’s radar. Consider them for Ferrari-grade hosting on a used-car budget:
- Cloud-based SSD storage for speed and reliability
- Double your RAM with burst periods
- FREE dedicated IPv4 and IPv6 addresses
- Custom control panel for reboots and OS installs
- HostingAdvice readers enjoy more than 50% off
- Get started on Hostinger now.
3. SiteGround — Fast Cloud VPS Hosting Meets Premium Customer Support
As you can see with SiteGround, performance sometimes comes with a price. However, the company’s hefty price tag is a worthy investment for a growing online business that prioritizes high-speed innovation, supreme reliability, and immediately responsive customer support. What’s more, SiteGround’s VPS platform comes with cloud-based stability that enables customers to automatically scale to handle any traffic spikes.
- Performance-boosting features: SSD storage, three levels of caching, CDN, NGINX, and support for PHP 7 and HTTP/2
- Also known for: Auto-scalable computing resources, SuperCacher static and dynamic content caching, innovative VIP support via live chat and ticketing system
We were a little surprised to learn that SiteGround doesn’t advertise its network speed or guaranteed port connections, but we trust the longtime industry leader to maintain connected infrastructure worthy of the team’s innovative in-house developments. The company engineered its own support systems and promises to instantly reply to chat messages and phone calls while responding to email tickets in 10 minutes or less.
- Fully managed cloud hosting with ultra-fast performance and scalability
- FREE Cloudflare CDN and daily backups
- SuperCacher, Git, and 1-click CMS installs
- cPanel, SSH access, and private DNS setup
- Dedicated IP address and iptables firewall
- Get started on SiteGround now.
4. ScalaHosting — Fully Managed VPS Hosting Service with SSDs
Boasting competitive response times, ScalaHosting is one of the world’s fastest shared hosting providers — and its semi-dedicated VPS plans don’t disappoint.
- Performance-boosting features: SSDs, LiteSpeed Enterprise license add-on, HTTP/3 support, and free website migration
- Also known for: Proprietary control panel (SPanel) and security features (SShield)
While your average VPS host will give you the option to add a content delivery network (CDN), ScalaHosting’s semi-dedicated plans come with Cloudflare Railgun pre-installed. This technology uses advanced caching techniques to compress data over 150 times faster than conventional methods, which can shave precious milliseconds off your page load times.
For a cloud server hosting service with industry-leading SLAs, ScalaHosting is tough to out-pace.
- Fully managed VPS with cloud performance
- Choice of Scala, AWS, or DigitalOcean datacenters
- Enjoy 100% SSD storage and unmetered bandwidth
- Custom full-service SPanel administration portal
- HostingAdvice readers get 53% off the first term
- Get started on ScalaHosting now.
5. DreamHost — Unmanaged VPS Hosting with SSDs
Particularly well-known among WordPress hosting circles, DreamHost is another SSD-driven VPS provider that blends optimized user experiences with modern, forward-thinking hardware. As one of only three hosts recommended by the WordPress team, we love that DreamHost is friendly to open-source communities and developers looking to push the boundaries of website speed and innovation.
- Performance-boosting features: Free SSDs, built-in caching, Jetpack-powered CDN, NGINX, and support for PHP 7 and HTTP/2
- Also known for: Storage and RAM upgrades in less than 10 seconds, along with optimized and isolated MySQL VPS options
In addition to unlimited bandwidth and traffic, DreamHost gives VPS customers easily expandable memory and storage solutions that can quickly adapt to your growing audience. Where the company really makes its mark, however, are the managed MySQL servers that put your databases on their own, isolated VPS environment. Learn more by clicking on our review, below: