Choosing the best WordPress hosting sites can be a daunting process. The super-popular (and free!) content management system is everywhere, and seemingly every web host claims to be the best. But how can you tell which hosting plan is right for you?
Just as you wouldn’t plant a tree in a desert or stick a cactus in the swamp, WordPress sites need the right environment to thrive. For some, that means a one-click installation and automated updates, while others may need unlimited bandwidth, a content delivery network, caching plugins, and other performance-minded features.
After spending years developing and scaling WordPress websites, our team came together to definitively rank the cream of the crop for affordability, speed, security, premium managed services, and helpful support. Our WordPress host reviews offer general recommendations, or you can read on for our specialized endorsements.
Best Overall WordPress Hosting Sites
With roughly 300 content management systems available across the internet, what’s so special about WordPress? The community-driven platform has inspired developers since 2003 and now captures 60% of the CMS market share — equivalent to more than 75 million sites.
Although the open-source publishing platform comes with everything you need to build and launch your site, the best WordPress hosts provide additional user-friendly services and supercharged technology to make your experience even better. WP hosting plans often come with ample bandwidth and storage, along with software updates and a free SSL certificate.
Let’s dive straight into the top WordPress hosting companies officially recommended by our team of developers and content creators. Whether you’re looking for the best hosting plan for beginners or want to run WordPress on an enterprise-grade dedicated server, these companies score high marks across the board:
- WordPress pre-installed with NGINX and PHP 7
- FREE SSL certificate and unlimited bandwidth
- Optional automatic plugin, theme, and core updates
- Features a FREE drag-and-drop WP page editor
- Premium themes and plugin subscriptions
- Get started on InMotion now.
InMotion Hosting leads the way when it comes to feature-rich WordPress hosting plans. The web hosting company fine tunes its hardware for performance by including solid-state drives, the NGINX web server, and a free content delivery network. Offering the full range of shared, VPS, and dedicated hosting services specifically tailored for WordPress, the InMotion Hosting support team has plenty of expertise in scaling and securing business-critical websites and applications.
First-time site owners, on the other hand, can get started right away with pre-installed WordPress software and the option of using the company’s custom-built WP site builder, BoldGrid. In addition to the top-notch design tools, speed, and performance, most InMotion hosting plans come with an industry-leading 90-day money-back guarantee and 99.999% uptime guarantee.
Bluehost is one of the most trusted brands in hosting — especially when it comes to WordPress. The hosting provider is one of just three officially recommended WordPress hosts to get the blessing of the very developers and communicators who created and maintain the publishing platform. Bluehost has leveraged that vote of confidence to create WordPress plans that power more than 2 million sites around the world.
The web hosting provider’s shared WordPress hosting plans come with at least 50GB of disk space, a domain name registration, free CloudFlare CDN, and automatic WordPress installation, and updates. The always-reliable Bluehost also offers upgraded ecommerce and managed hosting experiences that introduce unlimited WordPress websites, SSD storage, and no traffic restrictions.
- FREE Cloudflare CDN and 1-click installs for WordPress
- Turbo Server, SSD speed boost, and optimized caching
- A2-optimized WP plugins for performance and security
- SSL certificates, PayPal integration, and 24/7 support
- FREE HackScan and KernelCare
- Get started on A2 Hosting now.
A2 Hosting boasts some of the fastest WordPress hosting services you’ll find. The company’s powerful servers all come with unlimited bandwidth and SSD storage, plus a staging environment and free SSL certificate. A2 Hosting is a great option for site owners who need unlimited resources (including email addresses), and those who upgrade from the base WordPress hosting plans can enjoy automatic backups and a slew of caching plugins.
The WordPress hosting options come with the standard 99.9% uptime guarantee, but we especially appreciate A2 Hosting’s speed-optimized Turbo Servers. Promising page load times up to 20 times faster than those of competitors, the low-density Turbo Servers devote more resources per user and come with the LiteSpeed Cache plugin for WordPress.
Best Cheap Web Hosting for WordPress
Automatic or free WordPress installations are the norm across web hosting services — but where else can you find cost savings? Although free WordPress hosting is an alluring proposition, you’re much better off signing up for an affordable hosting platform to build your WordPress site.
Cheap WordPress hosting services come packed with all sorts of features that boost value while delivering strong performance, security, and reliability. Keep an eye out for the hosting companies that offer free SSL security, the CloudFlare CDN, and unlimited bandwidth, disk space, or email addresses.
When it comes specifically to WordPress hosting providers, automatic installations and updates are key, as is having upgraded SSD storage. Tons of cheap WordPress hosting options are available for less than $5 per month. We’re highlighting the three best WordPress hosting packages based on affordability below.
- $0.01 for the first month, then $5 monthly after
- NO annual contracts and NO sudden price increases
- Unlimited storage space, data transfers, and email
- New domain is $11 with 1-month plan ($1.99 otherwise)
- 99.9% uptime and price-lock guarantee
- Get started on InterServer now.
InterServer isn’t free — but it’s as close as you can get. You can get your WordPress blog up and running for just $0.01 for the first month and enjoy month-to-month prices that won’t lock you into a long-term deal (but discounts are available if you’re interested). Even better, your hosting costs won’t increase for the entire life of your account.
In addition to unlimited domains, disk space, and data transfer, InterServer customers get a free website migration and SSL certificate. Whatever type of hosting for WordPress you’re looking for, InterServer boasts tons of affordable options ranging from shared to managed hosting on VPS and dedicated servers.
Bluehost dominates the WordPress hosting scene and does so for remarkably low rates. The web hosting gurus carry remarkable clout in the WordPress community and regularly contribute to WordCamps and core development. Bluehost also reinvests in its infrastructure, recently upgrading most of its servers to faster SSD storage without raising prices.
Although Bluehost’s managed hosting and WooCommerce options are a bit pricey for new users working on their first WordPress website, they’ll be perfect for those with growing online stores and large amounts of traffic. Each WordPress hosting service comes with customizable themes, an enhanced cPanel interface, and a support team full of experts. Bluehost offers the standard 99.9% uptime guarantee, but we trust them to deliver much more value throughout your WordPress hosting experience.
- Get 62% off monthly pricing by buying 36 months up front
- Unmetered disk space & bandwidth
- Unlimited email addresses & free SSL certificate
- One-click WordPress install & free blog tools
- New domain costs $15/year, or use existing domain free
- Get started on HostGator now.
HostGator is known for superior hosting options at prices that won’t break the bank. Low-cost web hosting plans come packed with easy WordPress installations, free SSL security, and a 99.9% uptime guarantee. In addition to a free cPanel migration, the HostGator support team will even transfer your WordPress website data to your new hosting environment.
HostGator cost savings extend to other web hosting packages, as well. The hosting provider’s premium WordPress plans are built on super-charged cloud architecture featuring low-density servers that include a content delivery network and multiple caching layers. HostGator optimizes its WordPress web hosting plans for speed and reliability, touting load times that are more than twice as fast as those of competitors — a seriously impressive hosting service for less than $6 per month.
Best Managed WordPress Hosting
Need an impressive and reliable WordPress website but aren’t sure how to make it happen? Managed WordPress hosting is the perfect solution for growing sites and people who would rather spend their time expanding their business than dealing with tedious web hosting technologies.
The best managed hosting services ensure you’ll never have to worry about your WordPress blog. According to WP White Security, more than 70% of WordPress installations are vulnerable to attack — with managed WordPress hosting, however, your provider takes care of all server and network security with application firewalls, automatic updates, and other protective measures.
In addition to top-notch hardware optimized for speed and security, you’ll work with a support team that is extremely well-versed in the intricacies of WordPress and can help you troubleshoot much more effectively than the more generalized, one-size-fits-all web hosting approach. Let’s take a look at the best-of-the-best managed WordPress hosts:
- Hassle-free managed WP hosting and Heroic Support®
- 1-click staging and backup restores
- Automatic backups and updates to the core and plugins
- Hardened security and lightning-fast SSD speed
- 100% uptime and 50% off first 2 months on top plan
- Get started on Liquid Web now.
Liquid Web is a stunningly good choice for all things managed hosting. The company’s support team, dubbed the Most Helpful Humans in Hosting, promises to respond to chat messages or phone calls in less than a minute, and will answer helpdesk tickets within an hour. Each new support technician receives at least 300 hours of training in their first year to make sure they’re ready to answer any questions you may have about your WordPress website.
Liquid Web partnered with premier managed hosting and ecommerce specialists at Nexcess to craft a stellar managed WordPress hosting plan optimized with Beaver Builder, NGINX, PHP 7, free SSL security, and no traffic restrictions. Liquid Web takes away any concerns about automatic updates for plugins and WordPress core files by backing up and testing your site automatically every night. Even better, Liquid Web bestows on customers a magical 100% network and power uptime guarantee.
- Enterprise-grade WP hosting with unlimited data transfer
- Proprietary caching technology ekes out extra performance
- FREE Genesis Framework and StudioPress Themes
- Automatic backups of your WP site with 1-click restore
- 20% automatic discount for HostingAdvice readers
- Get started on WP Engine now.
WP Engine specializes solely in providing the best WordPress hosting experiences — and doesn’t offer any other type of hosting service. By staking its claim on the world’s most popular content management system, the top-rate managed WordPress host delivers more than 500,000 digital experiences each day.
WP Engine customers enjoy access to the Genesis Framework and 36 StudioPress child themes, along with a local development environment, one-click staging, a free CDN, and SSL certificate. The hosting provider is perfect for developers, agencies, and business owners who are serious about taking their WordPress website to the next level.
- Fully managed, stress-free WordPress hosting
- More than 5x faster than traditional shared hosting
- Advanced site backup and security features
- Now includes Jetpack pre-installed
- Easily scale to handle traffic spikes
- Get started on DreamHost now.
DreamHost ensures hassle-free and high performance managed WordPress services through its custom-built DreamPress hosting plans. The cloud environments give site owners isolated resources plus unmetered bandwidth, SSD-driven disk space, pre-installed WordPress, and one-click staging environments.
DreamHost offers the full slate of managed WordPress web hosting plans, ranging from shared and WooCommerce packages through VPS and dedicated server options. Another one of the select few hosting companies to earn the endorsement of the WordPress Core team, DreamHost boasts more than 20 years of experience and hosts more than 1.5 million sites. We especially love the company’s industry-leading 97-day money-back guarantee and 100% uptime guarantee.
Best WordPress & WooCommerce Hosts
When looking for the best WordPress hosting for online stores, you’ll naturally want to start your search looking for hosts that excel at running and supporting WooCommerce, the open-source plugin that brings ecommerce functionality to your WordPress website.
WooCommerce has been downloaded more than 82 million times, with about 26% of all online stores running the software — more than its main competitors in Magento and Shopify. Through the free WordPress plugin, entrepreneurs can unlock secure payments, configurable shipping options, and fully customizable or extendable add-ons.
As you may expect, the best WooCommerce hosting plans closely mirror the best WordPress hosting services. You’ll want to look for the standard features like uptime and money-back guarantees, free SSL, caching plugins, plus automatic backups and updates. But with your store’s success and reputation on the line, make sure the managed WordPress host you choose places a special emphasis on security and performance — both critical aspects of gaining customers’ trust and attention. Here are our top picks for WordPress-driven ecommerce:
- 1-click installs for eCommerce tools like WooCommerce
- FREE eCommerce plugin for WordPress
- Daily backups, a CDN, and FREE Weebly site builder
- Test changes to your online store within the staging area
- 24/7 support delivered by eCommerce gurus
- Get started on SiteGround now.
SiteGround is our favorite host for ecommerce sites and managed WordPress hosting. As the third web hosting company recommended by the leaders of WordPress, SiteGround comes with impressive clout and a reputation for stellar customer service. The company’s managed WooCommerce hosting plans feature unmetered traffic, free SSL, and unlimited databases.
In addition to being powered by 100% renewable energy, SiteGround provides on-demand backups, dynamic caching plugins, staging environments, and a white-label management interface for agencies and resellers. When it comes to managed WordPress services and support, SiteGround promises to respond to chats and calls in less than two minutes and reply to helpdesk tickets within 15 minutes on average. Your issue will be resolved at first contact 90% of the time, according to SiteGround.
- 20 times faster performance that boosts conversions
- 80+ software options: Magento, OpenCart, WooCommerce, PrestaShop, and others
- FREE SSL certificate and SSD storage
- Worry-free migration and 24/7 support
- DDoS protection and multi-pronged security measures
- Get started on A2 Hosting now.
A2 Hosting meets consumer demand for speed with aplomb, protecting entrepreneurs’ revenues and profit margins with blazing-fast managed WordPress and WooCommerce services. Website performance is vitally important for online store owners, with a recent study showing that 73% of consumers would move to a competitor’s site if a website is too slow to load.
Thankfully, A2 Hosting’s Turbo Servers boast 20-times-faster page load times with unlimited SSD storage space and data transfer. WooCommerce and WordPress come pre-installed, and A2 Hosting secures your store with a dual firewall and reinforced DDoS protection. When you’re looking for the best WordPress hosting performance, A2 Hosting should always be near the top of your list.
- Choice of shopping carts or managed WooCommerce
- FREE Weebly builder and FREE domain for a year
- 3 WebMail solutions with IMAP/POP3 support for emails
- FREE scripts for forums, mailing lists, and polls
- Unlimited storage with FREE marketing credits
- Get started on Bluehost now.
Bluehost is the all-around winner when it comes to full-service WordPress hosting plans. In addition to the free WordPress themes and other optimizations, the hosting provider joins sister company HostGator in offering ultra-reliable technology, 24/7 customer support, and unlimited computing resources. Bluehost gives customers free domain privacy, an SSL certificate, and CodeGuard protection services.
We especially appreciate the personalized approach Bluehost takes in helping site owners get their online store up and running; all levels of the hosting service come with a free two-hour setup call with a bona fide WooCommerce expert. You can then grow your store’s online presence with more than $200 in advertising credits and an efficient path to verification on Google My Business.
How Do I Choose a Host for My WordPress Site?
Finding the best WordPress hosting plans is a journey laden with questions and a lengthy checklist that changes depending on your goals. What works best for a new blogger, for instance, won’t serve the needs of a rapidly growing business.
Given the global popularity of WordPress, hosting companies worldwide are clamoring to attract new customers — but not all their services are up to snuff. These topics will help you narrow your search:
- Price: Are you more interested in a shared WordPress environment for around $5 per month? Hostinger WordPress plans combine budget-friendly affordability with a surprising number of high-quality features. Or, would you rather find a premium managed WordPress solution (read: more expensive) to meet your traffic and performance goals?
- Reliability & Support: The best WordPress hosting plan won’t matter if you can’t keep your site online or can’t get anyone to help you. SiteGround, for instance, reports nearly 100% customer satisfaction rates and a 99.9% uptime guarantee.
- Features: WordPress plans should prioritize performance and security, along with themes and other CMS-specific development tools. HostGator strikes an excellent balance with high-speed cloud servers protected with automatic malware removal and free SSL. Developers might also want to look for a staging environment or WP-CLI.
- Open-source attitude: Open-source attitude: Sure, most WordPress hosting providers will also offer hundreds of one-click installations, but do they sponsor WordCamps? Contribute code back to WordPress? What about creating custom plugins? It’s easy to support something free, but look for involvement and evidence of a WordPress hosts’ experience.
Reputation and customer satisfaction are huge when locating the best WordPress hosting services, especially when it comes to managed environments. Check out reviews of all the top WordPress hosting providers, and compare your results with your own rankings based on how the features, cost, and support stack up with your requirements.
Is Managed WordPress Worth It?
There’s no beating around the bush here. If you are willing to spend a little more and either have an interest in your website’s performance or just don’t feel like bothering with all the tech stuff, you will love managed WordPress services. In fact, SiteGround and Liquid Web report extraordinarily high marks for customer satisfaction while still delivering speedy and secure hosting plans.
Plus, managed hosting doesn’t have to break the bank. While many of the premium VPS-based plans cost in the neighborhood of $20 each month, HostGator represents a surprisingly cost-effective option among WordPress hosts. Power users may miss out on a few top features, but the souped-up cloud servers cost less than $6 per month and will be perfect for most individuals and small businesses.
Site owners stand to gain faster load times and more reliability, which more than 60% identified in an informal poll by Kinsta as the most valuable aspects of managed WordPress hosting. Many of the hosts we highlighted here, including HostGator and SiteGround, prioritize both attributes when crafting their WordPress plans.
Those benefits can greatly impact an online business’s revenues and overall success. A delay of just 100 milliseconds — about the time it takes to blink your eyes — can hurt website conversion rates by 7%. A site that’s two seconds slower can increase bounce rates by more than 100%.
When it comes to uptime, the average cost of unplanned downtime reaches $5,600 per minute — to say nothing of the damage to customer trust and brand reputation. To put it in perspective, 32 of the top 50 ecommerce websites experience 99.99% uptime or greater, with just four running a site with 99.5% or less uptime.
How Much Does It Cost to Host a Site?
As you may imagine, costs can vary wildly when it comes to buying the best WordPress hosting services. Fortunately, you can find plenty of high-quality shared WordPress plans, such as those from HostGator and SiteGround, for less than $5 per month. Hostinger WordPress hosting plans, for instance, go for just $2.15 a month — but the company regularly posts sales that bring the price down to less than $1 monthly.
Managed WordPress hosting, on the other hand, typically starts at less than $20 per month and can scale much higher depending on your site’s computing, performance, and security needs.
But a hosting plan isn’t your only expense when it comes to running a website. Be sure to consider these other elements when budgeting for your WordPress site:
- Domain name: Many hosts — but not all — will include a free domain registration as part of an annual web hosting plan. You can expect this to cost an additional $10 to $20 per year, plus $5 to $10 for domain privacy protection.
- Premium theme: Sure, the WordPress theme directory boasts hundreds of no-cost designs, but they won’t work well for users who are serious about their site’s performance and security. Expect to spend $50 to $100 for a complete theme with modern, efficient code.
- Plugins: Again, most of the 55,000+ plugins are free from WordPress, but many valuable SEO, security, backups, and caching plugins come with premium versions for enhanced services. Costs range from a few bucks to $50 or more.
What about hosting your WordPress site for free? Even though the open-source WordPress software is available for nothing, you should absolutely invest in a hosting plan. WordPress.com enables you to host a lightened up version of the platform for free, but you’ll probably want to move to a larger plan at some point.
How to Move Your WordPress Site to Your New Host
You know the saying: The grass is always greener on the other side. No matter how long you spend looking for the best WordPress hosting plan, there will likely come a time for you to switch hosts. Whether you’re wanting to take advantage of a better price, newer technology, or less frustrating support system, one of the biggest hangups is moving your site.
But never fear! You don’t have to be a hosting expert to move your WordPress site. The process can be a bit intimidating and tedious, but it’s well within a beginner’s wheelhouse. Your best bet is to sign up with a host, like HostGator and SiteGround, that offers a free site migration.
If you’d rather handle the move yourself, this helpful guide covers all the details. To get a sense of the basics, though, here’s what you’ll need to do:
- Backup your WordPress site files using an FTP program.
- Export your WordPress database within the phpMyAdmin program in your control panel.
- Create a new WordPress database on your new host server.
- Edit the wp-config.php file to reflect the new database name and user info.
- Import your saved database and upload your WordPress files to your new host.
- Change your domain name settings to point to your new host’s nameservers.
You can easily move your website to its new hosting home in a day, although the DNS changes may take a bit longer to fully propagate. We’re sure you’ll do great, but don’t forget your new host likely has 24/7 support available by phone and live chat. Don’t hesitate to put them to the test!