After a year or so of testing and writing about some of the best web hosting companies in the industry, I started feeling a little self-conscious about the host I had chosen for my personal sites and projects. I knew better options existed for speed, stability, and added services, and the slew of HostingAdvice articles and information wore me down.
When I finally decided to join our readers shopping for hosting services, I quickly set my sights on one particular feature — SSDs, or solid-state drives. The modern storage component reads and writes information much faster than traditional hard-disk drives, making websites up to 20 times more performant.
Full disclosure: SSDs are more expensive and typically have less capacity than HDDs, meaning hosting plans with SSDs tend to be a smidge more expensive. As we’ve written plenty, however, spending another dollar or two a month on web hosting is usually a sound investment that will pay dividends throughout the length of your service.
I only needed a shared hosting plan for my websites, but I’ve compiled a list of the best SSD options at all levels of hosting. Read on to learn about our experiences with each provider, along with our picks for the best plans and services.
1. Fastest Web Hosting Overall
We constantly write about the importance of fast web hosting. You’ve heard the mantras: Speed sells, performance is pivotal, and milliseconds matter. The stats illustrating the penalties of sluggish hosting are rather sobering, as one in four visitors will abandon a website if it takes more than four seconds to load.
Google and other search engines sometimes rank low-performing sites lower, drastically affecting your traffic. Fewer visitors mean fewer potential customers and less revenue, as well — for an eCommerce site making $100,000 per day, a one-second delay could cost $2.5 million in sales per year.
When considering hosts with SSDs, InMotion Hosting immediately rises to the forefront. The well-known provider has been a standard-bearer in the industry, particularly when it comes to speed, support, and reliability. InMotion invests millions in name-brand hardware and includes SSDs for free with every plan. Add in US-based support and a 90-day money-back guarantee, and InMotion plans are sure to impress at any level.
- FREE SSD drives included with all hosting plans
- Zero-downtime website transfers and migrations
- FREE data backups, SSL certificate, and DDoS protection
- Choice of East Coast or West Coast datacenter
- Multi-language support, including PHP, Ruby, and Perl
- Get started on InMotion now.
2. Fastest Shared Web Hosting
When looking for a truly superior shared hosting experience, a provider’s infrastructure and hardware make all the difference. With hundreds or thousands of customers and websites crammed onto each server, any upgraded equipment bodes well for everyone.
Offering SSDs is a sign that a web host actually cares about customer experience and website performance instead of simply maximizing profits on inexpensive hardware. In addition to the speed boost, SSDs are more reliable and less prone to mechanical failure, meaning your data will remain safe. As SSDs become an increasingly practical and popular option for both hosting companies and customers, you can expect to see more and more high-performance, supercharged plans.
- Pages load 200% faster with SSD shared hosting
- Powerful, reliable service optimized for user experience
- Host with WordPress and other popular software
- 100% uptime guarantee ensures your site is accessible
- Experts available 24/7 via live chat and email
- Get started on DreamHost now.
3. Fastest VPS Hosting
A virtualized private server, or VPS, naturally offers a performance upgrade over shared hosting servers. Fewer VPS customers share the same hardware, and virtualization allows the physical server resources to act like a dedicated server. With more control over the VPS operating system and configuration, users can further optimize their hosting environment for speed.
As with shared hosting providers, SSDs are usually just one of the perks offered with top-notch VPS plans. Several hosting companies will help customers manage their environments by including free managed services that cover security patches and software updates.
- High performance SSD hard drives up to 480GB
- 99.9% uptime guarantee, or get money back
- Latest versions of PHP, MySQL, Perl, Python, Ruby, and more pre-installed
- Instant provisioning. Get up and running in seconds
- Choose from 3 control panels and 14 operating systems
- Get started on InterServer now.
4. Fastest Dedicated Server Hosting
The cream of the web hosting crop, dedicated servers represent the utmost in computing, memory, storage, and performance. With an entire server’s resources committed to your website and applications, dedicated hosting is naturally the most performant tier of service.
As such, SSDs have proportionally less of an impact at the dedicated level. Certainly no less worthwhile, however, SSDs are best when supplementing optimized server configurations. The best dedicated hosting providers typically include some form of managed services or technical expertise to help customers fine-tune the right software, security, and performance settings to put the page load pedal to the metal.
- 100% network and power uptime guarantees
- Custom configurations, SSDs, and instant provisioning
- Auto-migrations, backups, and real-time monitoring
- Block/object storage and load balancer add-ons
- Our visitors pay $67.58/month! (usually $109/month)
- Get started on Liquid Web now.
5. Fastest Web Hosting for WordPress
WordPress might be among the most popular technologies used online — in fact, the free content management system is behind 27% of the web — but it can be surprisingly difficult to host WordPress sites well. The platform can run awfully slow if the hosting environment is not configured well.
While your theme and files can certainly impact WordPress performance, investing in a reputable and dependable hosting plan will make the most notable and immediate difference. In addition to SSD-driven hardware, customers and their website traffic will be well served by adding a content delivery network and caching plugins.
- WordPress pre-installed with NGINX and PHP 7
- FREE SSL certificate and unlimited bandwidth
- Optional automatic plugin, theme, and core updates
- Features a FREE drag-and-drop WP page editor
- Premium themes and plugin subscriptions
- Get started on InMotion now.
The Fastest Web Hosting Services Yield Up to 20x Better Performance!
Web hosting companies don’t always agree on much, but the language among SSD providers is the same: Not only are solid-state drives fast, they can make a site up to 20 times faster than those powered by traditional hard drives.
The growing popularity of SSDs among both hosting customers and providers means you can expect to see prices fall, storage capacities rise, and more choices as you shop for an SSD plan. The increased adoption of speedy storage devices will boost business for hosting customers around the world and improve user experiences.
In fact, some industry experts expect SSDs to rapidly replace hard-disk drives over the next few years, as the performance gains, increased customer satisfaction, and improved stability make them a sound investment and upgrade for hosting providers.
My quest for SSD hosting paid off, and hopefully the experiences and research we shared here help you rev your website’s engines, as well. If you’re still on the fence about a few hosts or if SSDs are truly for you, check out our host-by-host comparisons to see how your options stack up.