After a year or so of testing and writing about some of the fastest web hosting services in the industry, I started feeling a little self-conscious about the host I had chosen for my personal sites and projects many years prior. I knew better options existed for speed, stability, and added services.
When I finally decided to join our readers shopping for hosting services, I quickly set my sights on one particular feature — SSDs, or solid-state drives. The modern storage reads and writes information much faster than traditional hard-disk drives, making websites up to 20 times faster.
I went ahead and compiled a list of the fastest options at all levels of hosting. These hosts are known to be the absolute fastest web hosts in the industry — with price points that make their services well worth the investment. Read on to learn about our experiences with each provider, along with our picks for the best plans and services.
1. Fastest Web Hosting Overall
We constantly write about the importance of fast web hosting. You’ve heard the mantras: Speed sells, performance is pivotal, and milliseconds matter. The stats illustrating the penalties of sluggish hosting are rather sobering, as one in four visitors will abandon a website if it takes more than four seconds to load.
Google and other search engines sometimes rank low-performing sites lower, drastically affecting your traffic. Fewer visitors mean fewer potential customers and less revenue, as well — for an eCommerce site making $100,000 per day, a one-second delay could cost $2.5 million in sales per year.
When considering hosts with SSDs, InMotion Hosting immediately rises to the forefront. The well-known provider has been a standard-bearer in the industry, particularly when it comes to speed, support, and reliability. InMotion invests millions in name-brand hardware and includes SSDs for free with every plan. Add in US-based support and a 90-day money-back guarantee, and InMotion plans are sure to impress at any level.
Monthly Starting Price $2.29
- FREE SSD drives included with all hosting plans
- Zero-downtime website transfers and migrations
- FREE data backups, SSL certificate, and DDoS protection
- Choice of East Coast or West Coast datacenter
- Multi-language support, including PHP, Ruby, and Perl
- Get started on InMotion now.
2. Fastest Shared Web Hosting
When looking for a truly superior shared hosting experience, a provider’s infrastructure and hardware make all the difference. With hundreds or thousands of customers and websites crammed onto each server, any upgraded equipment bodes well for everyone.
Offering SSDs is a sign that a web host actually cares about customer experience and website performance instead of simply maximizing profits on inexpensive hardware. In addition to the speed boost, SSDs are more reliable and less prone to mechanical failure, meaning your data will remain safe. As SSDs become an increasingly practical and popular option for both hosting companies and customers, you can expect to see more and more high-performance, supercharged plans.
Monthly Starting Price $2.99
- FREE SSD speed and optional Turbo Server
- 1-click installs for all popular apps and scripts
- FREE CloudFlare CDN and A2-optimized caching
- Get up to unlimited domains and databases
- Help from the Guru Crew available 24/7
- Get started on A2 Hosting now.
3. Fastest Cloud Hosting
One of the fastest-growing categories of web hosting, moving to the cloud is an exceedingly easy and rewarding step for your website. The redundant resources give you extra scalability and reliability, ensuring your website has more than enough computing firepower to deliver information to your audience.
As we highlighted in our in-depth comparison for the fastest cloud hosting services, the difference between providers isn’t massive — but each millisecond matters when it comes to speed and performance.
Monthly Starting Price $6.00
- Choose Linux or Windows cloud hosting
- Up to 16 cores and 16TB of data transfer
- Plenty of RAM and redundant cloud storage
- FREE control panel and several OS options
- Pay $.01 the first month with HOSTINGADV coupon code
- Get started on InterServer now.
4. Fastest VPS Hosting
A virtualized private server, or VPS, naturally offers a performance upgrade over shared hosting servers. Fewer VPS customers share the same hardware, and virtualization allows the physical server resources to act like a dedicated server. With more control over the VPS operating system and configuration, users can further optimize their hosting environment for speed.
As with shared hosting providers, SSDs are usually just one of the perks offered with top-notch VPS plans. Several hosting companies will help customers manage their environments by including free managed services that cover security patches and software updates. We’re highlighting the cream of the crop below, but check out our article about fastest VPS hosting services for a more detailed analysis.
Monthly Starting Price $17.99
- FREE SSDs for 20x faster VPS hosting
- Enterprise-grade CentOS and security patches
- Root & SSH access, and reseller option with WHM
- Cloud infrastructure with real-time redundancy
- Unlimited FTP accounts and MySQL databases
- Get started on InMotion Hosting now.
5. Fastest Dedicated Server Hosting
The cream of the web hosting crop, dedicated servers represent the utmost in computing, memory, storage, and performance. With an entire server’s resources committed to your website and applications, dedicated hosting is naturally the most performant tier of service.
As such, SSDs have proportionally less of an impact at the dedicated level. Certainly no less worthwhile, however, SSDs are best when supplementing optimized server configurations. The best dedicated hosting providers typically include some form of managed services or technical expertise to help customers fine-tune the right software, security, and performance settings to put the page load pedal to the metal.
Monthly Starting Price $149.00
- 100% network and power uptime guarantees
- Custom configurations and instant provisioning
- Auto-migrations, backups, and real-time monitoring
- Block/object storage and load balancer add-ons
- Windows or Linux with 100% uptime guarantee
- Get started on Liquid Web now.
6. Fastest Web Hosting for WordPress
WordPress might be among the most popular technologies used online — in fact, the free content management system is behind 36% of the web — but it can be surprisingly difficult to host WordPress sites well. The platform can run awfully slow if the hosting environment is not configured well.
While your theme and files can certainly impact your site’s performance, investing in one of the fastest WordPress hosting plans will make the most notable and immediate difference. In addition to SSD-driven hardware, customers and their website traffic will be well served by adding a content delivery network and caching plugins.
Monthly Starting Price $2.99
- Free SSD Storage, NGINX, PHP 7, PHP 8, and free CDN included
- FREE SSL certificate and 50GB SSD-200GB SSD
- Automatic plugin, theme, and core updates
- Features a FREE drag-and-drop WP page editor
- Premium themes and plugin subscriptions
- Get started on InMotion now.
The Fastest Web Hosting Services Yield Up to 20x Better Performance
Web hosting companies don’t always agree on much, but the language among SSD providers is the same: Not only are solid-state drives fast, they can make a site up to 20 times faster than those powered by traditional hard drives.
The growing popularity of SSDs among both hosting customers and providers means you can expect to see prices fall, storage capacities rise, and more choices as you shop for an SSD plan. The increased adoption of speedy storage devices will boost business for hosting customers around the world and improve user experiences.
In fact, some industry experts expect SSDs to rapidly replace hard-disk drives over the next few years, as the performance gains, increased customer satisfaction, and improved stability make them a sound investment and upgrade for hosting providers.
My quest for SSD hosting paid off, and hopefully the experiences and research we shared here help you rev your website’s engines, as well. If you’re still on the fence about a few hosts or if SSDs are truly for you, check out our host-by-host comparisons to see how your options stack up.