What is Wix, and how can it help you get online? For fans of do-it-yourself website creation who are leery of learning how to code, Wix should be on your shortlist of prospective tools for the job.
The short version: Wix is an online website builder that gives users drag-and-drop simplicity when it comes to designing and publishing your portfolio, small business website, blog, or online store.
Website builders are the DIYer’s dream. If you want to build a site without hiring a developer or learning to code, be sure to check out our review of Wix below, along with how the platform compares to other premium site builder options.
What is Wix Website Builder’s Overall Rating?
I actually took the browser-based site builder for a spin recently. I played with theme options, evaluated the ease of use, sized up the functionality compared to the cost, and put together a beastly in-depth review. While Wix is certainly one of the best and most well-known website building platforms in the industry, we outline our ratings and feedback on the builder below. As you can see, we’re rather fond of Wix:
- FREE signup with email or Facebook
- Drag-and-drop designing is super easy
- 1-year domain free with most plans
- Up to $300-worth of ad credits
- Access to 1,000s of templates and additional tools in the App Market
- Get started on Wix now.
What Does Wix Cost?
When it comes to pricing, we find Wix to be so-so. You certaintly can’t beat the rock-bottom price of FREE, but premium plans can get expensive for those who want to add ecommerce functionality or marketing plugins, for example. The cost isn’t as high as Squarespace, but it certainly falls on the pricier end of the spectrum laid out by the best site builder plans. Bottom line: Wix isn’t always the most competitive cost-wise, but it still costs only a few dollars per month for the most basic plan. Plus, you can start designing with Wix for free!
How Does Wix Compare to Other Site Builders?
If site building were a popularity contest, Wix would certainly be sitting with the cool kids. The platform holds its own among the ranks of Weebly, Squarespace, and WordPress.com. You’ll notice in our head-to-head comparison of the top site builders, however, that each platform has its own strengths and areas that could be improved.
- Choice of Weebly or WebsiteBuilder by iPage
- Mobile-optimized options and easy-to-use setup wizards
- 100s of professionally designed, customizable themes
- FREE online store, shopping cart, and blogging platform
- Get +75% off your first month
- Get started on iPage now.
Design & Customization: Wix vs. Others
Wix is a quick-to-launch site builder platform. Sign up with a Facebook or Gmail account, and you’re browsing themes in seconds. Something I consider most appealing about Wix compared with other site builders is not just the number of themes available but how they’re organized. Wix offers industry-specific template categories, so whether you’re a Realtor, a musician, or the owner of a bed and breakfast you quickly find a design to complement your brand.
- Drag-and-drop design with the Gator™ website builder
- Hundreds of mobile-friendly, industry-specific templates
- FREE hosting, domain name, and SSL certificate
- Easily add a blog, ecommerce, and social media marketing
- Analytics portal helps you gauge your site’s performance
- Get started on HostGator now.
Ecommerce: Wix vs. Others
While Wix templates cater to business niches, the ecommerce functionalities are pretty basic: shopping carts, multiple payment gateways, and tools to manage shipping options and tax rules. If you’re serious about growing an online business — planning on displaying hundreds or thousands of products and expecting all the traffic and revenue to follow — I invite you to check out the top eCommerce hosts and accompanying website builders:
- 1-click installs for eCommerce tools like WooCommerce
- FREE eCommerce plugin for WordPress
- Daily backups, a CDN, and FREE Weebly site builder
- Test changes to your online store within the staging area
- 24/7 support delivered by eCommerce gurus
- Get started on SiteGround now.
Blogging: Wix vs. Others
Can you use Wix to start a blog? Absolutely! Blogging is just one of the many template categories available. Food Blog, Fashion Blog, Business Blog — you name your blogging niche, and Wix probably has a ready-to-go design waiting for you. Because the editor is a WYSIWYG layout (meaning, what you see is what you get), the blog setup experience is highly intuitive. Point and click or drag and drop to customize the layout, and then focus on the words on the screen. Now, is Wix your best option for blogging? Personally, I’d go with the #1 web host for bloggers:
- FREE domain and transfer, with WordPress pre-installed
- Host unlimited WordPress sites on a single account
- Unlimited bandwidth, plus FREE data backups and SSL
- User-friendly, 3-step Wizard for Google apps integration
- SPAM Safe™ email with IMAP support
- Get started with InMotion now.
Ease of Use & Support: Wix vs. Others
The Wix interface is super easy to learn — highly intuitive and likely to leave you with an end result you’ll love. It’s not the most robust platform, but it doesn’t need to be to fill the needs of the vast majority of its users. A side effect of its being fairly basic and cheap, though, is you’re not exactly paying for an always-on-call support team of technical gurus.
As a paying customer, you’ll have access to Wix’s customer support line, live chat, and ticketing service. However, going with an equally affordable shared hosting company will give you not only more site building and marketing features but a better customer support experience.
- FREE website transfer service to get started
- 99.9% uptime guarantee, Cloudflare CDN, and unlimited site traffic
- 1-click WordPress install and cPanel with intuitive UI
- 24/7 support featuring custom chat and ticket systems
- SuperCacher with 4 caching options, plus staging and Git
- Get started on SiteGround now.
Is Wix for You?
You’ll be pleased to know that my baby cousin didn’t fall to his demise as a result of my do-it-myself exersaucer building. He’s now standing all by himself, and while I can’t take all the credit, I have no regrets about my DIY approach. Likewise, you should have no qualms about choosing Wix as a site builder. It’s a fantastic tool for a reasonable cost. If you’re not sold, though, be sure to check out other site builder plans we recommend.