WYSIWYG is another intimidating set of letters that somehow results in a website. The acronym, however, should be a welcome sight: WYSIWYG stands for “what you see is what you get.”
Put simply, a WYSIWYG web builder means what you see on your computer screen as you’re editing your website is exactly what you’ll see when you visit your website in a browser window once it’s published. You can add all sorts of content without messing with any code.
1. Wix Web Builder
The biggest player in the site-builder industry, Wix boasts more than 90 million users and averages 45,000 new signups per day. Wix’s editor is based in HTML5 and offers some of the most flexibility found anywhere among WYSIWYG platform.
- Top-notch templates
- Lets you animate text and other elements
- Support through website, phone, or email
- No access to source code
- Can’t switch templates later
- No way to export your website
While many site builders offer templates tailored to specific industries, Wix takes those websites a step further with programs that help hotels book rooms, musicians sell songs, and restaurants take online orders.
- No coding skills needed with drag-and-drop website builder
- 100s of templates with industry-specific designs
- Add features via the App Market
- Build an eCommerce store easily
- Build small sites on a budget
- Get started on Wix now.
2. MotoCMS Web Builder
MotoCMS has been a major player in the website builder space since it hit the scene in 2008. The company’s responsive site creation tool and designer-built templates offer users a drag-and-drop environment to develop stunning, professional-grade websites.
Users have access to a number of easy-to-install widgets, including audio and video players, maps, forms, and menus, among others, to develop interactive online interfaces to welcome visitors. And integrations with marketing tools, such as MailChimp and other plugins, allow for seamless communication with your audience.
- Drag-and-drop functionality
- 99.9% uptime guarantee
- Fast page load speeds
- Hosting sold separately
MotoCMS’s lightning-fast content management system is designed for high performance and optimizes page load speeds, which keeps visitors engaged and moving toward conversion. Learn more about all the benefits of leveraging MotoCMS’s tools and templates by reading the full review in the table below.
- Custom templates for 60 industries
- FREE 14-day trial for online store
- Easy dashboard for managing order, customers, and products
- Unlimited products with built-in searches and filters
- Multiple payment options and widgets
- Get started on MotoCMS now.
3. Weebly Web Builder
Like all WYSIWYG builders, Weebly features a drag-and-drop interface.
- Responsive templates
- Integrated eCommerce (with paid plan)
- Mobile app lets you edit on the go
- Limited storage and domains in free plan
- Basic template designs and customization
- Not ideal for blogging
With the limited offerings of Weebly’s free plan, you’ll be better served in the long term by investing in a paid plan — or better yet, a hosting account that includes the Weebly design environment. Our experts took the Weebly interface for a test run, and you can browse our findings in our Weebly review below.
- Fully hosted online web builder lets you design by dragging and dropping
- Access to hundreds of free, sleek, and professional-looking themes
- Display and sell 10, 25, or unlimited products for your online store
- Start promoting your Weebly site with $100 in Google Ads
- Community support and online forums
- Get started on Weebly now.
4. WordPress Web Builder: BoldGrid
Powering 26% of the entire internet, WordPress is a go-to option for many website creators, whether they’re experienced or just getting started.
The open-source software was created by a community of hundreds of volunteers. As they say on their website, WordPress is both free and priceless at the same time.
One of the few free platforms with all the resources you could ever need, WordPress is not technically a website builder. You can choose from a seemingly infinite number of free or paid themes and further customize your website with a variety of plugins, but the content management system alone is not as intuitive as true WYSIWYG builders.
BoldGrid solves all that with a mission to make WordPress competitive with the top web builders. Originally an in-house product at InMotion Hosting, BoldGrid works as a suite of plugins that seamlessly integrates with WordPress and transforms it into a fantastic website builder.
The team at InMotion is so proud of BoldGrid that they are offering it to other hosting providers. Given their dedication to a one-of-a-kind product, InMotion Hosting is far and away our favorite WordPress website builder host.
- One-of-a-kind WordPress builder
- Good for beginners or professionals
- Drag-and-drop, WYSIWYG editing
- Built-in staging environment
- 200+ FREE themes
- Get started on BoldGrid now.
5. Other Free WYSIWYG Web Builders
Although the website builders themselves are free, you tend to get what you pay for. Free plans are a great way to test out a builder’s features and usability, but you will probably need the additional features that come with a paid hosting plan. The vast majority of hosting plans remove restrictions on your domain name and storage and often include add-ons such as eCommerce stores, marketing tools, and WYSIWYG builders for free with a paid hosting plan.
These hosts below use Weebly or other easy-to-use builders we haven’t mentioned above. They’re free with hosting plans, and give your site plenty of room to grow.
- No coding skills necessary with 1&1 MyWebsite
- Free domain name included, or transfer your existing site
- Quickly build a site equipped for online sales with PayPal
- $50-worth of free paid ad credits and 1&1 SEO Spotlight
- Measure and track your success with 1&1 SiteAnalytics
- Get started on 1&1 now.
- FREE Weebly site builder and unmetered traffic
- WordPress auto-updates and intuitive staging area
- Easy CMS install and setup wizard
- In-house-built ticketing/chat system
- SuperCacher with static/dynamic caching options available
- Get started on SiteGround now.
- Choice of Weebly or WebsiteBuilder by iPage
- #1 Pick for WYSIWYG site building with FREE domain
- 100s of professionally designed, customizable themes
- Start your personal blog or business site in minutes
- Get +75% off your first month
- Get started on iPage now.
These companies show that you don’t have to break the bank for good hosting plans or suffer with the limited features of free website builders.
Ready to See What You Get?
Whether or not you want to mess with the code behind your website, WYSIWYG builders will help you get the job done in a fraction of the time. WYSIWYG doesn’t have to be yet another scary acronym in web design — go forth and use it to your advantage. Pick up that old writing passion and start a blog. See if you could turn a hobby into a thriving online business. Whatever your web-building itch, let a WYSIWYG builder help you scratch it.