What is managed hosting, you may ask? Bear with us as we explain through real estate.
If shared hosting is living in an apartment building (with multiple tenants sharing the same building), VPS hosting would equate to owning a condo — while you may share some resources with neighbors, you are ultimately responsible for maintaining your property.
Cloud hosting is staying at a hotel, renting an Airbnb, or maybe even couch surfing — you don’t have a permanent home but always have a place to stay. Dedicated hosting would be like owning a house; no one else but you has access to its resources.
In this analogy, managed hosting is like a property manager or a handyman. They take care of some of the work so you can relax or focus on making a living; managed hosting companies take care of the technical stuff while you decide what content to create.
A Basic Definition
Simply put, managed hosting services minimize the amount of hands-on IT work that needs to be performed to keep a server running at peak performance. With this type of plan, the hosting company will handle the hardware while you focus on your software.
Don’t have the knowledge, staff, or time to manage a web server? Sign up for managed web hosting.
Managed hosting used to be somewhat synonymous with dedicated hosting. Larger companies that can afford dedicated hosting decide if they want their IT teams to handle the web servers, or focus on in-house hardware and leave the servers to the hosting company.
What is “Managed VPS” Hosting?
VPS hosting gives you more control to customize your server options — but not total control. In this case, managed hosting is like a condo owners’ association. Yes, you can technically throw a huge party, but eventually, your neighbors are going to complain. Managed VPS hosting makes sure all the neighbors are getting along nicely and the community is monitored.
With the close monitoring, however, managed cloud and VPS hosting providers can quickly alert you and provide recommendations on the best way to scale — in many cases taking care of the upgrades for you. Alternatively, the host will be able to inform you if your property is ready to jump up to a dedicated server. Here are our top choices for managed VPS hosting:
- Managed or unmanaged virtual servers available in Windows or Linux
- Cloud hosting instances with hourly or monthly billing
- Instant upgrades without downtime
- FREE around-the-clock monitoring
- Automatic nightly backups available
- Get started on Hostwinds now.
- $0.01 for the first month using code HOSTINGADV
- Then $6 monthly with no contracts, no price changes
- Latest versions of PHP, MySQL, Perl, Python, and Ruby
- 7 operating system options for Linux or Windows users
- Full root access and choice of datacenter included
- Get started on InterServer now.
- High-speed hosting that's faster than AWS, Rackspace, and Digital Ocean
- FREE backups, CDN, root access, and DDoS protection
- Up to 16 processors with all-SSD storage
- Choice between cPanel or Plesk Onyx control panel
- Real-time monitoring and 100% uptime guarantee
- Get started on Liquid Web now.
What is “Managed Server” Hosting?
Managed dedicated hosting packages will typically offer the most services, while managed cloud and VPS services are more likely to focus on the infrastructure setup and maintenance. If you’re paying top dollar for exclusive use of an entire server, managed services likely won’t break the bank. Consider signing up with one of the hosts listed below for true white-glove service.
In your house of dedicated hosting, managed services are like hiring a landscaping company or handyman. You’re still most likely responsible for hanging pictures on the wall, but you can hire as many people as you want to paint, clean, and cook. Here are our top three picks for managed dedicated hosting:
- 100% network and power uptime guarantees
- Custom configurations, SSDs, and instant provisioning
- Auto-migrations, backups, and real-time monitoring
- Block/object storage and load balancer add-ons
- Windows or Linux servers with 100% uptime guarantee
- Get started on Liquid Web now.
- 24/7 uptime monitoring and privately owned datacenter
- Up to 24 cores, 256GB RAM, and 100TB bandwidth
- Choose from 12 operating systems and 3 control panels
- Custom configurations built and maintained in-house
- Price-lock guarantee without contracts
- Get started on InterServer now.
- Root access available with 3 levels of server management
- Expertly-tuned managed servers deployed instantly
- Choose from 4 datacenters spread across 3 continents
- FREE redundant SSD storage in RAID-1 arrays
- Choice of 13 Linux operating systems
- Get started on A2 Hosting now.
Intro to Managed Hosting
The specific services included with managed hosting can vary wildly among hosting companies. Some companies offer managed hosting as an add-on to their existing cloud, VPS, or dedicated packages, while others include managed services in each rate or even make their system administration teams available at hourly rates.
The differences in managed service packages boil down to what you want the hosting provider to administer: infrastructure or operations.
- Semi-managed hosting is great for people or businesses who want to use a hosting company’s support and infrastructure but feel comfortable managing their own servers.
- Fully-managed hosting is best for those with limited technical knowledge. Fully-managed hosting allows people or companies to focus on growing their business.
When your website family is growing too large for your cramped apartment, it’s time to move out of the shared hosting complex and into VPS, cloud, or dedicated hosting. This is where managed hosting shines.
Some hosts offer managed shared hosting, but beware: technically, shared hosting is inherently managed. Don’t let a company charge extra for the same cPanel access, 24/7 support, or one-click WordPress installations that you can find included in most other shared hosting packages.
Kick Back, Relax, and Let Your Hosting Provider Take Care of the Rest
To keep the analogy flowing, think of managed hosting as a vacation. This is your opportunity to sit back, do what you enjoy, and let others take care of the nitty-gritty technical details. With managed hosting, you can focus on your business or design while your host installs updates and optimizes performance.
Managed hosting is the perfect solution for those with a growing website or online business, and not much technical know-how as far as optimizing performance and security. Don’t fret about trusting your site to the experts — they’ll take perfect care of you.