The best cheap storage VPS servers for web publishing, gaming, and streaming media include large partitions of SSD storage as part of the hosting plan. Other plans include block storage that can be used to off-source allocation limits on hardware.
In this review, we suggest the VPS hosting plans with the best deals on SSD storage in the marketplace. Many projects use block storage or blob storage options to supplement SSD storage on cloud VPS plans. Your development requirements and project budget will dictate the plan you need.
Best Cheap Storage VPS Servers
The companies below are our industry leaders for cheap VPS storage options. We ranked the companies on the quality of their platform service package based on their datacenter engineering, web page runtime optimizations, and other developer tools they provide.
- Cloud-based SSD storage for speed and reliability
- Double your RAM with burst periods
- FREE dedicated IPv4 and IPv6 addresses
- Custom control panel for reboots and OS installs
- HostingAdvice readers enjoy more than 50% off
- Get started on Hostinger now.
Hostinger has a great option for multi-domain publishers, resellers, and high-traffic websites with their VPS8 plan. You can get a guaranteed 250 GB of SSD storage capacity with 8 dedicated CPU cores, 16 GB RAM, and 12 TB monthly bandwidth for $77.99 a month on the 48-month plan.
This plan will maximize CMS performance for WordPress, Drupal, and Joomla sites. You can also use it for hosting mobile apps, games, or downloads at a great price.
Best Cheap Storage on VPS Hosting at Hostinger:
- Recommended VPS Hosting Plan: VPS8 Plan
- Configuration: 8 CPUs, 16 GB RAM, 250 GB SSD storage, + 12 TB bandwidth
- Cost: $77.99 a month (48-month billing)
With Hostinger VPS plans, you have the option to install CentOS, Ubuntu, Fedora, Debian, or SUSE Linux distributions. You can also save costs or optimize production by choosing between licenses for cPanel, WHM, Webuzo, or Webmin.
Hostinger offers a choice of datacenter locations in the United States, United Kingdom, Singapore, Netherlands, and Lithuania. Set up a VPS plan in each location to build powerful edge server production networks at a cost equivalent to a dedicated server plan. You can manage VPS plans with Docker and Kubernetes.
- Managed or unmanaged, in Windows or Linux
- Cloud hosting with hourly or monthly billing
- Instant upgrades without downtime
- FREE around-the-clock monitoring
- Automatic nightly backups available
- Get started on Hostwinds now.
Hostwinds allows developers to use block storage at hourly billing rates with their Linux VPS plans. The API for the service is the same as the API used by AWS S3. Object storage bills at $ 0.000042386 per GB per hour at Hostwinds and can be attached to any VPS plan.
Use the 200 GB SSD on the VPS partition for apps and offload large files, archives, images, or downloads to the block storage system. The cost is $74.99 per month for 200 GB SSD storage.
Best Cheap Storage on VPS Hosting at Hostwinds:
- Recommended VPS Hosting Plan: Linux VPS Plan
- Configuration: 4 CPUs, 12 GB RAM, 200 GB SSD storage, + 4 TB bandwidth
- Cost: $74.99 per month (annual billing)
At Hostwinds, you can scale instantly to higher levels of CPU cores, RAM, or storage on your plan without reinstalling applications. The API allows developers to build apps that conserve resources by outputting large or high-volume files to block storage capacity.
Hostwinds will also include a daily backup of all of your site files, scripts, and database. You can store snapshots of development environments to seed development, testing, linting, or sandbox environments.
- $0.01 for the first month using code HOSTINGADV
- Then $6 monthly with no contracts, no changes
- Latest of PHP, MySQL, Perl, Python, and Ruby
- 7 operating system options for Linux or Windows
- Full root access and choice of datacenter
- Get started on InterServer now.
InterServer has recognized the consumer demand and developer need for cheap storage VPS servers, creating an entire platform for the service. The Storage VPS plans at InterServer combine HDD partitions at cheap rates for use of the resources for any purpose.
InterServer offers a cloud file backup service and NGINX web server as part of the complete hosting package. Clients can use OwnCloud software for files of DirectAdmin for the VPS server.
Best Cheap Storage on VPS Hosting at InterServer:
- Recommended VPS Hosting Plan: Storage VPS Plan – ST1200
- Configuration: 12 CPUs, 24 GB RAM, 12 TB HDD storage, + 12 TB bandwidth
- Cost: $72 a month (monthly billing)
The difference between HDD and SDD storage costs is so vast that you can get over 50 times HDD storage space for the same price as SSD storage in the marketplace.
SSD storage on Cloud VPS plans is vital to providing the fastest page load speeds for websites and mobile apps in production. But many people prefer huge partitions of HDD storage at the cheapest prices.
InterServer customers can also use Storage VPS with Block and Object storage APIs.
- Cloud VPS that’s more flexible and affordable
- Load balancer, firewall, and managed services
- Premium Intel CPUs with 300% more power
- Choose between monthly or hourly billing
- Sign up today for a 30-day FREE trial
- Get started on Kamatera now.
Kamatera operates as an IaaS provider with a combination of Cloud Servers and Block Storage on the VPS platform. The Cloud Servers plans bill by the hour and can be configured with whatever combination of resources best suits your project.
We recommend a configuration of 8 vCPUs, 16 GB RAM, 250 GB SSD storage, and 5 TB monthly bandwidth for $0.152 per hour. With this configuration, block storage (HDD) is available at $0.05 per GB billed by the month.
Best Cheap Storage on VPS Hosting at Kamatera:
- Recommended VPS Hosting Plan: Cloud Servers + Block Storage
- Configuration: 8 vCPUs, 16 GB RAM, 250 GB SSD storage, + 5 TB bandwidth
- Cost: $0.152 per hour (hourly billing)
It is easy to attach a Block Storage drive to a Cloud Server plan at Kamatera. The company has integrated the two services in a custom control panel. Just click on “Attach” and your Cloud Block Storage will appear connected to your Cloud Server plan.
Then you can manage storage on both SSD and HDD for the same apps. The technical challenge is left to programming teams to solve on an ad hoc basis depending on project requirements in web/mobile development.
- Turbo server & cache options for faster page loads
- Well-built plans starting with 4GB RAM
- FREE CDN plus auto-installs with Softaculous
- Multilingual support and up to unlimited databases
- Enhanced security with and daily kernel updates
- Get started on A2 Hosting now.
The fully managed VPS plans from A2 Hosting come in a range of configurations with options for elite hardware and low-density configurations on their Turbo server range.
The Turbo Servers deliver a higher performance capacity by guaranteeing that fewer domains will be hosted alongside your account on the same hardware. In this manner, your web/mobile applications will have more simultaneous server resources to access with a Turbo plan.
This leads to faster page load speeds in ecommerce and managed WordPress hosting requirements.
Best Cheap Storage on VPS Hosting at A2 Hosting:
- Recommended VPS Hosting Plan: Managed VPS Plan – Mach 16 (Turbo)
- Configuration: 6 CPUs, 16 GB RAM, 250 GB SSD storage, + 3 TB bandwidth
- Cost: $89.99 per month (36-month billing)
The fully managed VPS plans at A2 Hosting include a license for running cPanel on all domains. This is important for cost benefits in reference to the base cost of $15 per month for a retail VPS license for cPanel only.
A2 Hosting offers better bulk pricing on cPanel than do other web hosting companies. The 250 GB of SSD storage is sufficient for running multiple CMS or managed WordPress sites on the A2 Hosting platform at the highest levels of performance.
Other VPS Hosting Packages
The companies listed below compete favorably with our top choices in providing cheap storage solutions on VPS plans.
The extra cost of managed VPS plans can be balanced against the requirements of the web hosting project or mobile app that is being supported, as well as the skill of the team members.
Choose the VPS plan that best fits your web/mobile development requirements in CMS, ecommerce, managed WordPress, and ASP.NET solutions.
- Designed to handle traffic with Linux or Windows
- Admin access via root access, cPanel, and Plesk
- High-speed SSDs and 99.9% uptime guarantee
- Unlimited bandwidth and lots of processing power
- Fully or semi-managed servers with optional control panel
- Get started on GoDaddy now.
GoDaddy offers Self-Managed Virtual Private Server (VPS) hosting plans at some of the best rates in the industry. You can get 400 GB dedicated SSD storage for only $69.99 per month.
Best Cheap Storage on VPS Hosting at GoDaddy:
- Recommended VPS Hosting Plan: Self Managed VPS Hosting
- Configuration: 8 vCPUs, 16 GB RAM, 400 GB SSD storage, + 2 TB bandwidth
- Cost: $69.99 per month (36-month billing)
These plans are recommended for systems administrators, programmers, and developers. GoDaddy has fully managed and high RAM options for other project requirements.
- High-speed hosting that’s faster than AWS, Rackspace, and Digital Ocean
- FREE backups, CDN, and DDoS protection
- Up to 16 processors with all-SSD storage
- Choice between cPanel, Plesk, or InterWorx
- Real-time monitoring and 100% uptime guarantee
- Get started on Liquid Web now.
Liquid Web is a high-performance web host with one of the best datacenter engineering teams in the industry. The Managed Linux VPS plans at Liquid Web include 200 GB SSD storage.
Best Cheap Storage on VPS Hosting at Liquid Web:
- Recommended VPS Hosting Plan: Managed VPS Hosting – Linux
- Configuration: 8 vCPUs, 16 GB RAM, 200 GB SSD storage, + 10 TB bandwidth
- Cost: $95 per month (24-month billing)
Liquid Web does not recommend Block Storage options except for rarely used files, like archives, backups, B2B collaboration, remote work, etc. as HDD can slow down websites.
- HostingAdvice readers get 73% off the first term
- FREE site migrations and 2 hours of Launch Assist
- 2 – 3 dedicated IP address options
- FREE cPanel/WHM licenses included
- Highly available servers with real-time redundancy
- Get started on InMotion now.
The price of a managed VPS plan from InMotion Hosting includes a cPanel license for your server which is equivalent to $15 a month at current pricing on the retail market independently.
Best Cheap Storage on VPS Hosting at InMotion Hosting:
- Recommended VPS Hosting Plan: Managed VPS Plan
- Configuration: 8 vCPUs, 8 GB RAM, 140 GB SSD storage, +unlimited bandwidth
- Cost: $59.99 per month (36-month billing)
InMotion Hosting offers generous discounts for customers who sign up for long-term plans. The company is known for high-performance VPS plans that are great for managed WordPress.
- Seamless migration from any Bluehost shared hosting plan
- Robust VPS with 2-4 cores and 2-8GB of RAM
- Ample RAID-1 storage and tons of bandwidth
- Each plan gets at least 3 dedicated IP addresses
- cPanel and WHM with root access
- Get started on Bluehost now.
Bluehost is another popular web host that is known for managed WordPress services. Increase the level of resource allocation to your CMS sites for better performance and page load speeds.
Best Cheap Storage on VPS Hosting at Bluehost:
- Recommended VPS Hosting Plan: VPS Hosting – Ultimate Plan
- Configuration: 4 vCPUs, 8 GB RAM, 120 GB SSD storage, + 3 TB bandwidth
- Cost: $59.99 per month (36-month billing)
Although there is only 120 GB SSD storage on the Bluehost managed VPS plans, additional storage can be bought in the admin panel for $32 a month, including 250 GB extra SSD space.
- Includes cPanel, CentOS, and optional root access
- High-speed mirrored storage and guaranteed RAM
- Pre-installed scripts: PHP, Perl, Python & Rails
- Get 20% off your first month when you sign up
- More discounts available with long-term plans
- Get started on iPage now.
iPage is a sister company to Bluehost and has similar pricing for VPS platform services. If you are familiar with cPanel hosting, use it on your VPS plans with a free license from iPage.
Best Cheap Storage on VPS Hosting at iPage:
- Recommended VPS Hosting Plan: Managed VPS Hosting – Optimum Plan
- Configuration: 4 vCPUs, 8 GB RAM, 120 GB SSD storage, + 4 TB bandwidth
- Cost: $67.99 per month (24-month billing)
iPage offers everything from its shared hosting plans on the VPS package, which includes a free domain name, support for unlimited domain names, and a managed LAMP environment.
- Full root access with fully or semi-managed options
- Redundant network with multiple layers of security
- FREE website, domain, MySQL, and script transfer
- RAID-10 storage for data protection
- Get up to 75% off when you sign up
- Get started on HostGator now.
HostGator is one of the most trusted brands in web hosting. The HostGator VPS platform is the standard for managed solutions with cPanel and WHM, including up to 240 GB SSD storage.
Best Cheap Storage on VPS Hosting at HostGator:
- Recommended VPS Hosting Plan: Snappy 8000
- Configuration: 4 CPUs, 8 GB RAM, 240 GB SSD storage, + unlimited bandwidth
- Cost: $59.95 per month (12-month billing)
HostGator only requires a 1-year plan to get the cheapest rates on VPS server storage. The complete hosting package at HostGator includes a suite of free deals and developer tools.
What is a Virtual Private Server (VPS) Storage?
Virtual Private Server (VPS) plans are created to support isolated partitions of web server hardware in multitenant environments.
A cloud server may have over 512 cores that can be dedicated to client accounts in shared, VPS, or VM plans according to the requirements of the web host.
With the web server, SSD storage is attached to the unit or may function in mirrored RAID drives. SSD storage benchmarks I/O processing at 200x faster speeds than HDD hardware. This leads to high demand for SSD storage on web hosting product lines.
Major Differences Between HDD and SSD Storage on VPS Plans:
- Hard Disk Drive (HDD) Storage: cheap and abundant, but slow to use in hosting
- Solid State Drive (SSD) Storage: functions with near equivalence to RAM
- HDD Solutions: recommended for downloads, archives, backups, & file sharing
- SSD Solutions: essential for securing the fastest page load speeds on websites
On a VPS server, the SSD storage space is used to manage the operating system, web server framework, database, programming language extensions, and scripts.
This complexity is then multiplied through virtualization to support millions of domains in simultaneous operation in hyperscale datacenters or privately owned facilities.
“SSD storage provides 200x faster processing of web transfer requests and around 50x faster speeds on database queries than comparable HDD options.”
The price-to-value of VPS plans is determined by SSD storage costs. CDN integration is another option that allows you to integrate both storage types in apps.
How Much Does VPS Server Storage Cost?
The price of VPS server storage will vary from host to host depending on the hardware and business plan of the individual companies.
HDD storage is available at rates as low as $0.05 per GB monthly on VPS plans. SSD storage averages around $10 per 100 GB depending on the company. Some web host companies offer discounted storage prices for VPS servers, while other companies charge extra to create higher margins.
The average is $25 per month for 250 GB SSD storage on VPS server plans. Expect cheaper rates for larger storage purchases.
How to Estimate the Storage Capacity for VPS Hosting:
- Operating System: From 50 MB to 1.5 GB storage space required (Windows/Linux)
- Server Framework: 10 MB for Apache and 16 MB for NGINX server installation
- Virtualization Footprint: less than 1%-3% of total resources on average
- Space for Backups: make sure to allow extra space for daily backup storage
Once the requirements on the list above are met, the rest of the storage on a VPS plan can be allocated to scripts, databases, and files.
“Some people argue that HDD storage is no longer relevant in web hosting where the fastest page load times are required for SEO and ecommerce sites especially. Other projects are still making good use of HDD storage for its capacity and value.”
How you use storage on VPS plans will ultimately depend on your team’s preferences and business requirements. Expect to pay the highest prices for elite hardware configurations.
How Do I Choose the Best VPS Hosting Plan?
Most VPS companies do not advertise the processor they use on their platforms, as they may change or upgrade it over time. The best VPS hosting plan will include the highest levels of CPU cores, RAM, SSD storage, and monthly bandwidth at the cheapest prices.
Other factors to consider are the service mesh or datacenter engineering at the web host and the customer service and technical support. Live chat, phone technicians, and ticket systems are most commonly used in the industry. Make sure your plan includes extra tools for developers.
Main Factors to Consider When Choosing a VPS Hosting Plan:
- Managed VPS Hosting Plans: include ongoing security upgrades for the platform
- Unmanaged VPS Hosting Plans: you are responsible for all cybersecurity issues
- Cloud VPS Hosting Plans: run on elite hardware with datacenter optimization
- Storage VPS Hosting Plans: offer large partitions of HDD storage for file sharing
Small businesses, web publishers, and developers all rely on the cost-efficiency of VPS servers for their web hosting. These users demand high-performance virtual hardware configurations and rely on SSD storage for the best web server speeds.
Users should take into consideration the SSD storage value when deciding between cloud, managed, and unmanaged VPS plans. Many users employ Storage VPS plans for HDD requirements when saving file archives, backups, downloads, or for use in apps at slower speeds to save money on pricing.
How Does a Virtual Private Server and Storage Work?
VPS plans include real-time system monitoring so you know your website’s traffic patterns and the processing requirements of cloud applications running in production.
You can monitor services and upgrade to higher levels of CPU cores, RAM, and SSD storage allocations without reinstalling cloud software.
This type of scalability is enabled by hypervisor virtualization and VPS deployment platforms. You can also add extra drives to some VPS plans for Block or Object storage.
Major Components of a Cloud VPS Hosting Platform:
- CPU Cores: the total number of virtual CPU cores in the VPS configuration
- RAM Allocation: the amount of dedicated RAM on the server guaranteed for use
- Storage Capacity: look for the best value on SSD storage for VPS plans
- Bandwidth: the data sent by the web server through I/O requests per month
Rely on your VPS administration panel to add storage capacity or to upgrade accounts in real-time.
“Developers can use APIs to access Block, Blob, and Object storage from multicloud accounts like AWS S3 or Microsoft Azure.”
Most Agile development teams work with microservices where VPS plans can be used across the software development pipeline. Make sure you confirm the availability of extra SSD/HDD storage on your VPS platform and the price per GB on the plans.
There are advantages to hourly, monthly, and long-term contracts depending on the web host and the requirements of the projects to be hosted on the hardware.
Why Should I Choose VPS Storage Hosting?
In response to consumer demand, web hosting companies have created specialized VPS Storage hosting with large HDD storage partitions.
“Cheap VPS hosting products allow you to run Linux or Windows VPS plans according to your project requirements.”
KVM VPS plans allow the operating system to be shared between Windows and Linux on the same hardware through hypervisor virtualization. VPS Storage hosting adds high HDD capacity to a Linux or Windows server.
This is recommended on cheap storage VPS server plans.
Reasons to Choose VPS Hosting with Hard-Disk Drive (HDD) Storage:
- File Archives: backup website files, store versions, use for off-site storage of cloud files
- Large Download Files: use HDD storage with large or frequently downloaded files
- B2B File Sharing: open-source solutions like OwnCloud can be deployed for B2B use
- Block Storage for Apps: some companies offer APIs similar to Amazon’s S3 service
A virtual server that provides unlimited bandwidth may be beneficial for many projects. Cheap Windows VPS plans allow dedicated resources to be guaranteed at fixed rates over time.
Dedicated hosting allows IT admins to save money on disk space with a cheap storage VPS server. Look for platforms with KVM virtualization to run cheap Windows VPS resources together with Linux servers in support of PHP and ASP.NET apps.
Container VPS platforms are more suitable for Agile development teams or independent Python programmers.
Shared Hosting, VPS, Dedicated Server: What’s the Difference?
A hosting provider will offer a VPS hosting solution alongside a suite of products like shared, dedicated, and cloud hosting. VPS plans are required to support multiple operating systems on the same hardware.
A successful hosting provider will offer customer support with live chat facilities at a minimum. Customer support with live chat is useful on cheap storage VPS server plans for disk space management with multiple operating systems.
KVM virtualization allows VPS plans to operate with a shared kernel on the OS. Another option is Microsoft Hyper-V.
Differences Between Shared, VPS, Cloud, and Dedicated Server Plans:
- Shared Hosting Plans: multitenant environment with low levels of user isolation
- VPS Hosting Plans: multitenant environment with high levels of user isolation
- Dedicated Servers: guaranteed single-tenant environment on bare-metal servers
- Cloud Hosting: utilizes container vs. hypervisor virtualization for lower footprint
Most shared hosting plans use cPanel, WHM, and CentOS as a solution for complete cloud server management for domains.
Shared hosting plans are priced at $3.95 to $12.99 per month and can support unlimited websites with MySQL, PHP scripts, and other features like FTP, email, SSL certificates.
The shared hosting stack is replicated on managed VPS plans across the web hosting industry. Save money by purchasing a managed VPS plan with a bundled cPanel license and get blazing performance speeds for WordPress hosting.
Optimize SSD Storage on Cloud VPS Plans
A KVM storage VPS plan is the best option for combining low cost with the flexibility of both HDD and SSD storage options. Linux and Windows VPS hosting may be priced differently with large storage partitions.
A storage server with HDD resources may allow large files like database or website backups to be stored or used for file sharing, downloads, etc.
Spend on SSD storage for CMS and ecommerce performance in production and use HDD for cheap space when you need to share or backup cloud files.
If you prefer a Windows server, look for cheap VPS hosting plans with managed frameworks that can support Block, Object, and Blob storage access via APIs. A cheap VPS hosting plan can also be used with Linux as a lower-cost option to a Windows server due to licensing.
Managed VPS plans that support unlimited domains, databases, and bandwidth with SSD and HDD storage options are best for developers. Look for KVM VPS plans for Storage VPS hosting, and you will have the option to run multiple operating systems through the hypervisor.
KVM storage VPS plans are best in the industry for large storage requirements. If you need a storage server for B2B or personal cloud use in sharing files, choose a KVM storage VPS plan.
The managed Windows VPS hosting plans will support large storage requirements for ASP.NET with integration to Azure via APIs. KVM virtualization is also great for WordPress hosting on Cloud VPS plans.
Make sure the hosting provider offers quick and easy customer support you can contact if you have any issues when managing disk space on a virtual server. A cheap Windows VPS plan is recommended for dedicated resources in IT planning for project management.