The best hosting for startups mirrors many of the same aspirations held by the ambitious founders and developers seeking the next big thing: new technologies, speed, and the ability to scale.
Nowadays, the term “startup” can mean just about anything. From the crafters selling their jewelry online to the multimillion-dollar companies in Silicon Valley, startups all seem to come back to ideas, innovation, and motivation to make something happen.
As such, startups of all shapes and sizes have different web hosting needs than casual bloggers or hobbyist designers. Startups need to build an online presence and get their brand or product seen — and do so quickly so that they can focus on growing their business instead of fighting with a website. No matter your startup’s size or industry, we’ve compiled a list of the 15 best hosting shared, cloud, and dedicated hosting solutions for your specific needs.
Best “Cheap” Hosting for Startups
When in doubt, shared hosting is a good place to start — it’s easy on the wallet and comes loaded with all the tools new businesses need to succeed. Budgets are lean when you’re just getting started, and these hosts listed below give you the most bang for your buck. We’ll go into more specifics below about which entrepreneurs and businesses might be best suited for shared hosting, but here are the five highest recommended shared hosting providers:
- Unlimited everything, from storage to databases
- FREE site builder & WP performance upgrades
- FREE daily or weekly backups
- Custom control panel and auto-installation scripts
- SSH access & unlimited FREE SSL certificates
- Get started on Hostinger now.
- FREE cPanel integration and Softaculous apps
- Auto daily backups and web application firewall
- Reliable and redundant cloud servers
- FREE SSL encryption and website migration
- 99.99% uptime guarantee
- Get started on HostArmada now.
- $1/month for 12 months
- No hidden fees, pay just $12 at checkout
- Easy setup and 24/7 expert support
- FREE domain or transfer, plus FREE SSL certificate
- Unlimited storage and databases with most plans
- Get started on 1&1 IONOS now.
- 1-click install for WordPress, Drupal and 400 others
- Unlimited email accounts, databases & bandwidth
- 24/7 tech support for beginners and pros alike
- 12-month or 36-month plan at $2.95/month
- Anytime unconditional money-back guarantee
- Get started on ScalaHosting now.
- Cheap shared hosting from a trusted provider
- Ideal for hosting a WordPress website
- FREE Weebly website builder and Cloudflare CDN
- Unlimited traffic and 24/7 live chat support
- Get 70% off today with our Bluehost coupon
- Get started on Bluehost now.
Not sure if you’re a good candidate for shared hosting? Occupations and industries that thrive on shared hosting typically include:
- Independent Contractors (résumés and consulting services)
- Graphic Designers, Photographers, and Performers
- Nonprofits, Religious Organizations, and Humanitarian Groups
- Realtors, Brokers, and Mortgage Consultants
- Restaurants, Mom-and-Pop Businesses, and Boutiques
- Bloggers, Freelance Writers/Editors, and Online Publications
- CPAs and Financial Representatives
- Attorneys and Local Government Officials
When choosing a hosting provider for your startup, keep an eye out for particular features that resonate for your company’s goals. The best shared hosting services will give you unlimited storage space and bandwidth, along with a free domain name. Reliability, automatic backups, and top-notch support might be more important to some entrepreneurs, while others will place more value on a site builder, eCommerce tools, and marketing credits.
Best “Cloud” Hosting for Startups
Hosting in the cloud or on a VPS, otherwise known as a virtual private server, is perfect for big-budget startups, businesses with rigorous technical requirements, and companies experiencing rapid growth in web traffic that shared servers can no longer handle. For example, these organizations would do best with VPS or cloud hosting:
- Tech Startups (cost-effective, compute-capable servers for fast-growing sites)
- Healthcare Organizations (HIPAA compliance for protecting sensitive patient data)
- Retail Chains (PCI compliance secures credit card info; can display thousands of products)
- Investment Firms (helps safeguard sensitive financial and customer data)
Cloud and VPS hosting plans also give you more control over your infrastructure. If you’d prefer to focus on your business and products, however, most hosts offer various levels of managed services where their experts will take care of your hardware needs. Because your server resources scale with your traffic needs, you’ll only pay for what your site or application actually uses. Read on to see who we tab as the best cloud hosting providers:
- Ultimate scalability with limitless customizations
- Create and deploy servers in 60 seconds
- Easily add load balancers and firewalls
- Stellar 99.95% uptime guarantee
- Sign up today for a 30-day FREE trial
- Get started on Kamatera now.
- Auto scaling with premium Intel processors
- Customized operating systems (Linux or Windows)
- Deploy Linux instances in less than 1 minute
- SSD infrastrucutre optimized for your software
- Transparent costs and by-the-minute billing
- Get started on 1&1 IONOS now.
- Managed cloud hosting with 24/7/365 monitoring
- Choose from 5 popular cloud providers
- Auto-healing cloud servers with FREE backups
- 3-day free trial with no credit card required
- Host unlimited apps with no contract lock-in
- Get started on Cloudways now.
- Choose your OS or application configuration
- Hourly or monthly billing for convenience
- Optional upgrades for cPanel, backups, and more
- Managed services, SSDs, and HDDs available
- Block and object storage, plus enterprise firewall
- Get started on Hostwinds now.
The Best “Email” Hosting for Startups”
Central to any growing business is the ability to communicate — both internally among employees and externally with your customers. A strong email hosting platform helps you coordinate your organizational growth and the projects helping you achieve success. As with all things business, speed and security is a must-have feature. Even better, many of our favorite email hosting providers include additional productivity tools, such as calendars and conferencing apps, as well as newsletters and other email marketing tools.
- FREE software for webmail, newsletters, contact forms, list management, and spam filtering
- Unlimited inboxes, forwarding, and autoresponders
- Secure POP3, IMAP, and SMTP messaging
- Unlimited storage and transfer with FREE SSL
- Get more than 75% off today (was $7.99/month)
- Get started on A2 Hosting now.
The Best Web Hosting for Startups Scales to Dedicated Servers
Truthfully, not many startups are going to need a dedicated hosting plan out of the box except for those with big ambitions and investments. Applications relying on large databases or susceptible to high traffic spikes will need the extra computing firepower and security measures to remain online and growing. After all, nothing is worse for a young company than not being there for its early advocates.
If performance is king and price isn’t an issue, however, then dedicated servers are the way to go, because you’ll never have to worry about your website crashing due to a spike in visitors. Here are our top picks:
- Explore server deals to find the best rates
- High powered modern AMD and Intel processors
- Unlimited traffic and 1 Gbit/s network connectivity
- 8-minute deployment with full API control
- Auto backups, DDoS protection, and RAID-1 storage
- Get started on 1&1 IONOS now.
- Bare-metal or managed servers available
- 1-on-1 time with a server administrator
- 99.99% uptime via Smart Routing™ technology
- Tier 1 network with redundant bandwidth
- SSH root access and DDoS protection on all servers
- Upgrade for cPanel, migration, and auto backups
- Get started on InMotion now.
- Linux or Windows with choice of 3 control panels
- 100% network and power uptime guarantees
- Custom configurations and instant provisioning
- Auto-migrations, backups, and real-time monitoring
- Block/object storage and load balancer add-ons
- Get started on Liquid Web now.
Hopefully, all the startup leaders reading this will find themselves needing a dedicated hosting plan at some point — when your website is large enough to demand its own resources, you know you’ve made it. The Silicon Valley types might be closer at achieving that goal, but the right host can make all the difference for helping small companies grow.
Search instead for the best web hosting for:
See Our Full Review of Hostinger
Whatever type of hosting plan you’re looking for, Hostinger is a solid choice no matter the scale. Our reviewer Laura Bernheim recently took Hostinger for a spin, and rated the popular host a 4.9 in the Cheap Hosting category out of a perfect score of 5.0. Here’s what Laura had to say about Hostinger:
A champion of affordable hosting, Hostinger is a popular pick for site owners looking for beginner-friendly shared servers. More than 29 million customers call Hostinger home as they scale websites through site builder, VPS, and WordPress hosting plans. When searching for a new plan, Hostinger is among the best at balancing high quality with low prices.
Before signing up for Hostinger, it’s a good idea to read through Laura‘s full review to learn about all the features Hostinger offers. You can also compare it to other web hosts to ensure you’re getting the best deal possible:
If you decide Hostinger is the right choice, keep in mind that it takes just minutes to deploy your Hostinger server space. And at $1.99 per month, it’s a bargain considering the many great features that come in any Hostinger plan.