If WordPress is your content management platform of choice, you’re in good company. Notable brands, such as eBay, Sony, and Disney, use WordPress for their websites. WordPress is the most popular platform for creating websites, so it’s no wonder so many web hosting companies offer WordPress-specific hosting.
When a former colleague of mine, Sam, decided to start a WP blog for his photography business, he struggled at first to determine which service was right for him. Should he go with the cheapest option? Which features were most important to his business, and which providers offer them?
Ultimately, his site’s heavy emphasis on images required a hosting service that could deliver reliable uptimes and lightning-fast speeds despite the large files. That’s why he chose a WordPress service that offered cloud hosting, which is particularly known for reliability, flexibility, and power. If you’re a WordPress user, read on to discover the best cloud host for your site.
Best Cloud Hosting for WordPress Overall
Cloud hosting can be an excellent option for WordPress site owners who don’t want to worry about their site loading slowly or being completely down. With cloud hosting, multiple sites share resources on multiple servers, and site owners are charged for the total resources they use. This can vary per month, as it depends on the website’s size and the amount of traffic it receives. If your site suddenly experiences a traffic spike, it could end up costing you more. Still, cloud hosting is a cost-effective model as you are only charged for what you actually use, and it’s less expensive than dedicated server hosting.
The uptime and performance of cloud hosting servers are reliable and impressive. If you decide to opt for self-hosted WordPress, you’ll need to decide on a hosting provider. WordPress cloud hosting is optimized specifically for WordPress websites, and these providers specialize in working with WordPress customers. There are many features to consider, including reliable technical support, security, and automatic backups. The providers we’ve chosen in our list of the best WordPress hosting plans cover all their bases in terms of affordability and quality offerings. See our #1 pick below:
- Ranked #1 for cloud VPS hosting
- Fault-tolerant SSD storage and up to 8GB of RAM
- FREE control panel with choice of Linux OS
- Full root access or managed servers available
- FREE live-state or scheduled snapshots
- Get started on InMotion now.
- Managed cloud hosting plans begin with a $100 CREDIT toward your first month
- FREE personal consultant you can contact directly
- Customizable stack of web servers, databases, and scripting languages
- SSD infrastrucutre optimized for your software applications
- Transparent costs and by-the-minute billing
- Get started on 1&1 now.
- Twice as fast and four times the computing resources
- Tons of storage with the scalability of the cloud
- Low-density servers and multiple caching layers
- Unlimited domains and MySQL databases
- Upgrades available for security, backups, productivity, and domain privacy
- Get started on HostGator now.
Best “Managed” WordPress Cloud Hosting
Managed web hosting is ideal for the website owner who doesn’t have a lot of time to manage their own server. With managed hosting, the hosting provider gives full support for keeping the server(s) your site uses configured and running optimally. It’s kind of like having your own personal IT team offsite. This option lets you focus completely on building and expanding your site without worrying about keeping up with the minute details of the hardware supporting it.
High performance and uptime are must-have qualities of a good managed hosting service. Other offerings to look for include large or unlimited bandwidth, generous email accounts, and top-notch security. The major benefit of going with managed hosting is the assurance that the features your site’s success hinges on, such as automatic operating system updates and untouchable security, are in place. You also pay for that service as part of your hosting package, so you don’t need to invest in your own IT staff to handle your network and software needs. Our top picks for managed WordPress cloud hosting are vested with our professional analysis of the most important considerations. Our team’s first choice is below:
- WordPress pre-installed for you at checkout
- Zero-downtime site transfers
- WordPress updates done automatically
- Plugins, SSDs, and caching for top speed
- Help from WordPress fanatics and FREE SSL security
- Get started on InMotion now.
- 1-click WordPress installs via enhanced cPanel
- VPS power and NGINX architecture for extreme speed
- Advanced CDN and WAF protection
- Custom control panel simplifies WP site management
- Instant provisioning and regular backups
- Get started on Bluehost now.
- Managed services for all WordPress plans
- In-house-built technologies for speed and support
- WordPress kept up to date with automatic backups
- Easily test and deploy changes via staging area
- 3 levels of caching for optimal performance
- Get started on SiteGround now.
Best “SSD” Cloud Hosting for WordPress
WordPress customers looking for a hosting provider with some of the best data transfer rates and most robust systems might consider solid-state drive (SSD) cloud hosting for WordPress. An SSD is a better-performing hard drive than standard spinning disk drives, or hard-disk drives (HDD). Servers with an SSD can make sites load faster and have better uptimes. With SSD cloud hosting, the multiple servers within the cloud network are equipped with SSDs, which enhances site performance, regardless of the server being used or the number of resources it’s consuming.
When an SSD cloud hosting service has been optimized for WordPress, servers can serve up webpages much faster than standard services can. Free data backups, migrations, and SSL certificates are just some of the additional perks an SSD-powered WordPress cloud host might offer. The one downside to SSD cloud hosting for WordPress is that it can be more expensive due to the high cost of buying and maintaining SSDs. Look for the option to pay as you go so you can better manage the costs associate with SSD cloud hosting. The list of our favorite SSD cloud server plans starts with the WordPress-friendly host below:
- FREE SSDs for 20x faster VPS hosting
- Enterprise-grade CentOS and FREE security patches
- Root access, SSH access, and reseller access with WHM
- Cloud infrastructure with real-time redundancy
- Unlimited FTP accounts and MySQL databases
- Get started on InMotion Hosting now.
- High performance SSD hard drives up to 480GB
- 99.9% uptime guarantee, or get money back
- Latest versions of PHP, MySQL, Perl, Python, Ruby, and more pre-installed
- Instant provisioning. Get up and running in seconds
- Choose from 3 control panels and 14 operating systems
- Get started on InterServer now.
- Ultimate performance for an ultra-affordable price
- Redundant SSD storage with 2-8GB of RAM
- Seamless migration from Bluehost shared hosting
- Premium support and industry-standard uptime rates
- HostingAdvice shoppers get 33% off first month
- Get started on Bluehost now.
Best “WordPress Website Builder” for Cloud Hosting
With these recommendations for web hosting, HostingAdvice tries to make choosing a WordPress cloud hosting provider a stress-free experience. Building and growing your WordPress site should be just as painless. Do you ever wish you could make some tasks in WordPress simpler and more intuitive? BoldGrid may be the product of your dreams. The website builder works on top of WordPress, laying a drag-and-drop, what-you-see-is-what-you-get (WYSIWYG) editing experience atop the legacy content management platform. BoldGrid makes creating a website with WordPress a better experience for anyone, whether beginner or advanced.
For those with little site-building experience, BoldGrid makes WordPress as basic as possible without leaving out any customizable features. The drag-and-drop functionality of the software allows first-time site owners to build a beautiful and elegant web presence. Professional web developers will also find it saves time and tedious steps while building out complex sites. BoldGrid can be applied to any type of web hosting – shared, VPS, or dedicated – including cloud hosting for WordPress. Read more on how BoldGrid can improve your overall site-building experience by clicking the links below.
- Optimized SEO plugin scales traffic
- Cloud infrastructure and redundancy
- Live-state snapshots and backups
- Root access and code editing tools
- FREE cPanel and WHM licenses
- Get started on BoldGrid now.
The Sky’s the Limit when the Cloud & WordPress Hosting Combine
If WordPress cloud hosting is right for you, options abound. Don’t sweat it too much – any of the above providers are guaranteed to be high quality. Keep in mind what’s most important for your business and website as you comb through these listings.
Sam, my former colleague with the photography blog, was happy to have reliable uptime rates and fast page load speeds – but he had other priorities, too, such as moderate pricing and easy management. With this list of top WordPress cloud hosting providers, you can find the host that checks off all of your boxes.