Our in-depth SiteGround WordPress review examines what happens when you combine two of the most user-friendly systems on the planet.
Working with WordPress is supposed to be easy — one of many reasons the software is unanimously deemed the most popular website management platform on the market. However, creating and publishing a website is one thing; keeping your site up and running with room to grow is another.
As one of just a few hosts that WordPress itself recommends, SiteGround is a robust option with tons of appealing WordPress-oriented features, technologies, and some of the best technical support in the industry.
Whether you’re new to owning a website or you’re a no-nonsense, skilled developer, the SiteGround team brings its A-game as far as customer experience – leaving you more time to create awesome websites.
SiteGround “WordPress” Hosting Review: 4.8 / 5.0 Rating
Founded in 2004 and based in Bulgaria, SiteGround has grown to be one of the most well-known hosts on the market. The provider currently supports more than 800,000 sites and is driven by creating in-house solutions and pursuing partnerships that benefit customers.
In addition to crafting their own software to manage customer support, the company is also known for creating SuperCacher, a technology that boosts website performance. That attention to page load speed is especially important to WordPress users, as the platform’s complex codebase can often slow down the delivery of information.
Led by CEO Tenko Nikolov and Founder Ivo Tzenov, the SiteGround team has an eye for innovation. The company gives users a competitive edge — with an uptime rate that beats the industry standard, high-performance storage powered by solid-state drives, and security measures tailored specifically to WordPress.
Read on to learn more about SiteGround’s specific feature sets, and don’t forget to check out our full review of SiteGround’s services for WordPress in the table below.
- Officially endorsed by WordPress.org as a top host
- FREE WordPress transfer or setup with 1-click install
- Pre-installed Git, 3 caching levels, and FREE CDN
- FREE WP setup wizard, staging, and auto-updates
- 99.9% uptime, 24/7 support, and custom chat system
- Get started on SiteGround now.
SiteGround “Managed WordPress” Hosting Review: 4.8 / 5.0 Rating
Luckily for customers, all of SiteGround’s WordPress hosting plans include managed services, which means the company will take care of updating and securing the hardware behind your website.
SiteGround’s managed WordPress hosting covers performance-minded tools and configurations, as well as security procedures such as automatic updates and backups.
Top-notch security is a primary concern for WordPress users, and SiteGround takes this seriously. The company pays careful attention to WordPress-specific vulnerabilities and implements customized firewall rules as needed.
Daily backups and seamless platform and plugin updates enable your site to withstand and recover from common WordPress errors.
- Managed services for all WordPress plans
- In-house-built technologies for speed and support
- WordPress kept up to date with automatic backups
- Easily test and deploy changes via staging area
- 3 levels of caching for optimal performance
- Get started on SiteGround now.
3 Alternatives to SiteGround WordPress Hosting
We obviously think SiteGround is pretty incredible, but the company may not be the best fit for everybody.
Particularly as WordPress sites scale and require more computing power, SiteGround plans can get a little pricey. While the Google Cloud infrastructure is among the fastest and most reliable out there, not everyone is going to want to pay the lofty rates.
Fortunately, WordPress is a ubiquitous platform available with every hosting plan — often through a streamlined one-click software installation. Whether you’re making your hosting decision based on cost, storage space, or other add-on features, these hosts keep elevating the WordPress hosting game and give SiteGround a run for your money.
- WordPress pre-installed with NGINX and PHP 7
- FREE SSL certificate and unlimited bandwidth
- Optional automatic plugin, theme, and core updates
- Features a FREE drag-and-drop WP page editor
- Premium themes and plugin subscriptions
- Get started on InMotion now.
- Recommended by WordPress Core since 2005
- FREE SSD storage and SSL certificate
- FREE domain registration and email
- Automatic installation and updates
- 63% discount exclusively for HostingAdvice shoppers
- Get started on Bluehost now.
- FREE Cloudflare CDN and 1-click WP installs
- Turbo Server, SSD speed, and optimized caching
- A2-optimized plugins for performance and security
- FREE SSL certificates and 24/7 support
- FREE HackScan and KernelCare
- Get started on A2 Hosting now.
SiteGround’s WordPress “Features” Rating: 4.9 / 5.0
There are plenty of features to rave about in all three of SiteGround’s WordPress hosting plans. All packages come with 24/7 support, free email accounts, app installs, backups, and unmetered traffic. The inclusion of cPanel and SSH access simplifies site management and security maintenance, and the broad array of WordPress tools – including one-click installations, auto-updates, and command line management – streamlines site development.
Higher priced (but still reasonable) shared hosting plans for WordPress include additional features that are ideal for advanced developers working on larger and multiple sites. For example, the GrowBig and GoGeek plans have priority technical support, free backup restores, and access to SiteGround’s exclusive SuperCacher technology, which makes sites load faster. On the GoGeek plan, WordPress staging and pre-installed Git enhance the experience for WordPress developers.
The StartUp, GrowBig, and GoGeek plans are suitable for sites that have 10,000, 25,000, and 100,000 monthly visits, respectively. If you have large, high-traffic sites and you’re looking for more robust web hosting, SiteGround’s cloud hosting and dedicated server plans have much to offer site owners who need more space, support, and security.
SiteGround’s WordPress “Performance” Rating: 4.8 / 5.0
There’s no need to worry about slow site loading times with SiteGround. Slow servers are a major cause of users abandoning websites and can affect your bottom line. The servers at SiteGround are fast and responsive, ensuring that the people who access your site won’t leave early because the site loading is testing their patience. In addition to the WordPress-friendly solid-state drives and SuperCacher, SiteGround uses the NGINX web server and supports PHP7 and HTTP/2 to further increase performance. Additionally, all plans come with the Cloudflare content delivery network, which helps deliver your content around the world in a fraction of the time.
SiteGround’s platform is built on Linux containers, giving stable web performance even when traffic to a given site is high. That means your site can support more users without slowing load times. SiteGround also boasts an efficient backup system that uses minimal resources for quick restoring. Keeping your site running as smoothly as possible gives your users a seamless experience that will keep them engaged with your content.
SiteGround’s WordPress “Pricing” Rating: 4.8 / 5.0
A moderately priced web host with options for sites large and small, SiteGround offers plans that cater to both the beginning website owner and seasoned large-scale veterans. SiteGround offers three pricing options starting at $6.99. These price points of the company’s StartUp, GrowBig, and GoGeeks plans match up to some of the cheapest hosting plans available on the market.
The StartUp plan is a good place to begin if you only have one site and don’t expect to grow rapidly. It includes free email accounts, app installations, and SSD storage for extra secure data — all at a commpetitive monthly rate. Users selecting the GrowBig or GoGeek plans will benefit from bonus features such as a free SSL certificate for one year, WordPress staging environments, and site backup and restore functions. These plans are suited for businesses with multiple sites and other power users. All plans come with a 30-day money-back guarantee, a signal to customers that SiteGround believes in the value of its services.
SiteGround’s WordPress “Reliability” Rating: 5.0 / 5.0
One of the markers of a great web host is reliability. You simply don’t want to host with a company whose servers crash with any sort of frequency. This downtime is expensive, costing businesses an average of $5,600 per minute, according to Gartner. In terms of uptime (the percentage of time that the server is up and running), SiteGround exhibits stellar performance and consistency at 99.99% uptime and above.
With high-performing software stationed on three continents, SiteGround promises datacenters that are supported by state-of-the-art systems and security. When you start a SiteGround account, you can choose the datacenter in which you’d like to host your site, depending on your geographic target audience. The Cloudflare content delivery network (CDN), which is a staple of all SiteGround plans, makes your site quickly and safely accessible worldwide.
WordPress Hosting with SiteGround: Our Likes & Dislikes
SiteGround has proven time and again to be one of the best choices for WordPress hosting. As with any host, there are some areas where SiteGround leads the pack and others where its services could be enhanced. Here are some of the key features of SiteGround that we considered in our overall assessment.
- Hands-on and self-service support: Around-the-clock support through tickets, live chat, and phone assistance gives SiteGround customers the help they need, when they need it. Additionally, the SiteGround website has a thorough knowledgebase with hundreds of articles on practically any topic its customers can think up.
- High-impact security: SiteGround implements a strong firewall that protects against attacks and monitors vulnerabilities in WordPress files and plugins. Any vulnerabilities that are detected are proactively dealt with on the server and file levels. The company’s account isolation technology secures other accounts on a shared server when one account is threatened.
- Free CDN and SSL: Upon becoming a SiteGround customer, you will benefit from the Cloudflare CDN and a free SSL certificate from Let’s Encrypt™, a well-known SSL solution for WordPress sites.
- Many eCommerce options: Customers can choose from 18 eCommerce applications to power an online store. WooCommerce is the common choice for WordPress users, but this level of customization ensures you can use a platform that best suits your needs.
- WordPress-Enhancing Tools: Once you’re up and ready to go with SiteGround’s auto-installer for WordPress, higher-end plans offer the auto-updater tool to keep your site secure, the SuperCacher tool to enhance site speed, and WordPress staging environments to test and deploy changes.
- Limited storage on low-priced plans: The maximum amount of space available on SiteGround’s shared hosting plans is only 30GB. Compared to other web hosting providers, the available storage is on the slim side. However, you can upgrade to cloud hosting or a dedicated server for more room.
- Hidden setup fee: If you pay month-to-month, SiteGround charges an extra setup fee of $14.95. To get the best deal, sign up to pay for 12 months at the advertised cost per month, or see current coupons available online.
The SiteGround Team Has Optimized the WordPress Experience
When you’re building a site, it’s a comfort to know that your host has your back. SiteGround is an ideal partner for making sure that your site is visible and accessible, with room to grow. Even websites with the humblest of beginnings can expand to accommodate tens of thousands of visitors per month. Whatever direction your site takes, SiteGround has the top-notch customer support and customizable options to keep your WordPress masterpiece thriving.