CBD, or cannabidiol, is a compound found in the cannabis plant that has been gaining popularity in recent years for its potential health benefits. With the increasing demand for this product niche, many CBD merchants are looking for the best hosting options for their CBD-related websites.
When choosing a hosting provider for your CBD brand, prioritize server performance and security measures. Since CBD is still a relatively new and unregulated industry, choosing a host that takes security seriously and offers robust protection against hacking and other cyber threats is important.
Most importantly, choose a host that is supportive of the CBD industry. Since recreational marijuana usage is not federally legal and cannabidiol is closely linked, many hosting providers choose to limit the risk or perceived liability. Read the terms and conditions closely before signing up for a web hosting service.
Wix is a popular website builder that allows users to easily create professional-looking eCommerce websites without any coding experience. With Wix, you can choose from a wide range of customizable templates and add features such as a blog, booking system, or online store with payment processing. Wix also offers 24/7 customer support and a range of tools to help you manage your website and grow your CBD business.
Benefits to CBD business owners:
- All-in-one CBD eCommerce platform for US-based stores
- Streamlined website design with CBD templates
- Advanced marketing tools, secure payment gateway options, and shipping solutions
As a CBD business owner, you can start selling hemp-derived CBD products online the same day you sign up for a Wix plan. Read our expert review to determine whether the Wix eCommerce platform fits your needs.
- FREE signup with email or Facebook
- Drag-and-drop designing is super easy
- 1-year domain free with most plans
- Up to $300-worth of ad credits
- Access to 1,000s of templates and additional tools in the App Market
- Get started on Wix now.
Most Popular: WooCommerce Hosting
WooCommerce is a powerful eCommerce plugin for WordPress. The underlying software is open-source, so the WooCommerce platform can be customized and extended to meet the specific needs of your business. Due to the sensitive nature of the CBD niche, most merchants selling CBD online appreciate this differentiator.
WooCommerce is also popular among web hosting providers, many of which offer WooCommerce-specific plans that include pre-installed plugins, optimized settings, and other eCommerce features to help you get started quickly.
Key benefits for CBD store owners:
- Use the free WooCommerce plugin without restriction
- Sell CBD products anywhere in the US using Square as the payment provider
- CBD website vetting with Square or Viva Wallet ensures compliance and unlocks access to Jetpack, WooCommerce Tax, and WooCommerce Shipping tools
According to the WooCommerce Guidelines for CBD and Other Hemp-Derived Products, you can use WooCommerce and host your CBD website with any host that allows CBD-related content. Unfortunately, WooCommerce Payments currently prohibits CBD transactions; however, merchants selling CBD can still use Square or Viva Wallet for payment processing.
The best eCommerce platform for selling CBD and hemp products is the WooCommerce plugin paired with a pro-CBD hosting provider. You can check out the reviews of our current favorites for WooCommerce hosting below.
- Fully managed WordPress hosting with WooCommerce preinstalled
- FREE website migrations and staging area
- Multiple currencies and payment processors
- Premium firewalls, DDoS protection, and FREE SSL
- PCI-compliant with Stripe and PayPal preinstalled
- Get started on Nexcess now.
- Host up to unlimited WooCommerce sites
- FREE site migration and 1-click WordPress install
- Unlimited email hosting, databases, and bandwidth
- Daily backups stored for last 7 days
- FREE CDN and SSL certificate
- Get started on ScalaHosting now.
- All-SSD WooCommerce hosting built for speed
- Pre-installed plugins and 300+ extensions
- Sell unlimited physical and digital products
- Daily backups plus DDos and malware protection
- Upgrade to WP Pro for dedicated resources
- Get started on 1&1 IONOS now.
Shopify is an eCommerce platform that allows business owners to create and manage their online store. The platform provides tools for creating product listings, processing payments, managing inventory, and marketing goods and services. Shopify also offers a wide range of third-party apps and plug-ins to help customize the look and feel of your store as well as add additional features such as customer reviews or discount codes.
Shopify is a fully hosted solution, meaning you don’t have to worry about managing the technical aspects of your online store. This can be particularly useful for CBD businesses, as it allows you to focus on running and growing your CBD store, rather than dealing with technical issues. Additionally, Shopify offers a range of customizable themes and templates, so you can easily create a unique and professional-looking eCommerce website to start selling CBD online within minutes.
Key benefits for CBD merchant account holders:
- Verified US-based store owners can sell hemp and hemp-derived products, including CBD oil, gummies, and supplements
- Various Shopify payment process options (pending CBD store approval)
- Email marketing tools for promoting your CBD products
- Shopify Plus merchants can get dedicated support from the Merchant Success team throughout the process of setting up and scaling your CBD seller account
Check out our expert review of Shopify before settling on this platform for your CBD company.
- Sell via social media or hosted commerce platform
- FREE website builder and hundreds of themes
- Unlimited products and unlimited bandwidth
- PayPal or Shopify point-of-sale systems
- Advanced reporting and real-time shipping updates
- Try Shopify FREE for three days.
What is CBD Hosting?
CBD hosting typically refers to a web hosting service that supports websites dedicated to CBD sales and/or education. Such websites may sell CBD or hemp products, promote a local dispensary, or educate visitors on cannabidiol and its uses, benefits, and risks.
CBD products include but are not limited to CBD gummies, CBD oil, and CBD capsules. A broad-spectrum CBD merchant may also promote hemp goods such as candles, clothing, and supplements.
As with gambling sites, alcohol and tobacco sales, and adult content, CBD websites are not universally supported across all web hosting platforms.
What’s the Difference Between Hemp, CBD, and Marijuana?
Hemp and marijuana are both varieties of the cannabis sativa plant. However, hemp is generally distinguished from marijuana based on its use, chemical composition, and cultivation methods.
Hemp is a strain of cannabis sativa grown specifically for industrial purposes such as producing fiber, oil, and seeds. Hemp plants are generally tall, with thin leaves, and have little to no psychoactive effects. Hemp is used to make various products, including food, clothing, paper, and building materials.
Marijuana, on the other hand, is a strain of cannabis sativa grown specifically for its psychoactive and medicinal properties. It contains high levels of tetrahydrocannabinol (THC), the compound in cannabis that is responsible for the plant’s psychoactive effects. Marijuana is used for recreational and medicinal purposes.
CBD, or cannabidiol, is a chemical compound found in hemp and marijuana. It is one of the many cannabinoid compounds found in cannabis and has no psychoactive effects. CBD is used for its potential health benefits such as reducing anxiety, pain, and inflammation.
Does GoDaddy Allow CBD Sales?
GoDaddy has strict rules regarding prohibited content. Unfortunately, CBD payment processing is a no-go for the GoDaddy Payments system, and GoDaddy’s Web Design Services cannot be used for sites associated with marijuana or CBD sales, informational sites related to dispensaries, sites that sell products containing THC, or sites that sell paraphernalia such as bongs or pipes. Cannabis website owners should refer to one of our recommendations above instead.
Can You Sell CBD on Squarespace?
Yes, you can sell CBD online with Squarespace. The website-building platform has no restrictions regarding the CBD industry or transactions. However, it is important to read the company’s terms and conditions carefully before signing up for a hosting plan to ensure that your CBD eCommerce business complies with all applicable laws and regulations.
CBD Hosting Requires Compliance with Applicable Laws
The CBD market may be booming, but we must give other industries a chance to catch up. As quality CBD companies emerge and sustain popularity, we’ll likely see service provider restrictions loosen. But, for now, CBD merchants are at the mercy of local regulations, hosting provider terms, and payment processor guidelines.
You’ll notice a common theme throughout this article: All service providers put the onus on the CBD seller to ensure compliance with federal and state laws. Some hosting providers prohibit the publication of CBD and THC-related content altogether; others will allow you to host your CBD website, but the few CBD payment processors present more hoops to jump through.
See Our Full Review of Wix
Whatever type of hosting plan you’re looking for, Wix is a solid choice no matter the scale. Our reviewer Alexandra Anderson recently took Wix for a spin, and rated the popular host a 4.6 in the Best Overall Hosting category out of a perfect score of 5.0. Here’s what Alexandra had to say about Wix:
Wix offers one of the quickest and easiest means of getting a website online — free of charge to start. They’ve got a robust feature set that is growing every day as Wix leads in the browser-based web builder niche. While the support is subpar compared to that of the top hosts’ web builders, the customization and ever-growing list of templates is hard to beat.
Before signing up for Wix, it’s a good idea to read through Alexandra‘s full review to learn about all the features Wix offers. You can also compare it to other web hosts to ensure you’re getting the best deal possible:
If you decide Wix is the right choice, keep in mind that it takes just minutes to deploy your Wix server space. And at $16.00 per month, it’s a bargain considering the many great features that come in any Wix plan.