When most people tweet #ilovewp, they’re broadcasting more than just a hashtag. The line has become a motto for so many WordPress users who have successfully built careers with the free, open-source CMS. The WordPress.org testimonials page is filled with bits of praise from web developers, like Mitch Canter and Tomi Toikka, who use the software to easily create beautiful sites for their clients, and bloggers, like Sara Rosso, who transmit their messages on the platform.
Whether you’re a seasoned designer or a beginner to the web development game, WordPress offers a simple and free way to build a site. More good news: There are a ton of hosting providers that will power WordPress sites for next to nothing. Here, we’ll take a look at the seven top hosts that provide cheap and reliable WordPress hosting.
Best “Value” WordPress Hosting
Without a doubt, WordPress is the most popular web-building software on the planet, as it holds a 60% market share in the CMS space. In fact, its closest competitor, Joomla, only claims 6% of the market. WordPress is so widely employed by site owners and developers for a number of reasons — it’s open-source/free, easy to use, and finding cheap hosting for the platform is a piece of cake.
While a number of providers offer budget-friendly hosting plans for WordPress, it’s important to weigh some of the features included in a package. Below, you’ll find the top three hosts that provide cheap WordPress hosting and also include value-adds such as free backups, choice of datacenter location, optimized load times, and managed services.
- WordPress pre-installed with NGINX and PHP 7
- FREE SSL certificate and unlimited bandwidth
- Optional automatic plugin, theme, and core updates
- Features a FREE drag-and-drop WP page editor
- Premium themes and plugin subscriptions
- Get started on InMotion now.
- Recommended by WordPress Core since 2005
- FREE SSD storage and SSL certificate
- FREE domain registration and email
- Automatic installation and updates
- 63% discount exclusively for HostingAdvice shoppers
- Get started on Bluehost now.
- FREE Cloudflare CDN and 1-click installs for WordPress
- Turbo Server, SSD speed boost, and optimized caching
- A2-optimized WP plugins for performance and security
- SSL certificates, PayPal integration, and 24/7 support
- FREE HackScan and KernelCare
- Get started on A2 Hosting now.
Best Cheap “Shared” WordPress Hosting
The concept of shared hosting is pretty simple to understand — it involves multiple websites being run on the same server. Because resources are distributed across several sites, hosts can offer this option at very low price points, which is why it’s so popular with bloggers and entrepreneurs.
But it’s important not to just consider price when seeking a cheap host for your WordPress site. Unique domain names are integral to your site’s success, as they lend credibility to and represent your brand. Many hosts offer free domain registration as part of their basic, low-cost packages along with other options, including unlimited storage and bandwidth, email, and eCommerce functionalities. Below is our top pick for a host offering a feature-rich shared hosting plan for just a few bucks per month.
- $1/month for six or 12 months
- No hidden costs - pay just $6 or $12 at checkout
- Easy setup and 24/7 support from a personal consultant
- FREE domain or transfer, plus FREE SSL certificate
- Up to 500 GB storage, 500 databases, 500 email accounts
- Get started on 1&1 IONOS now.
Best Cheap “VPS” WordPress Hosting
It’s safe to say the goal of most eCommerce entrepreneurs is to scale their online businesses and attract the widest possible audiences. For WordPress sites that have outgrown the shared hosting environment, VPS (virtual private server) hosting offers the powerful computing power necessary to handle expanded storage and bandwidth needs.
Site performance is crucial for online businesses. In fact, it’s so important that just a one-second delay in load time or page response can result in a 7% reduction in conversions. For large eCommerce sites, that can add up to millions of dollars in lost revenue per year.
Though the costs associated with VPS hosting are higher than those for shared hosting, the quick load times and high availability a VPS provides ensure ideal user experiences for your visitors. We’ve found the best VPS host that provides lightning-fast speeds, top-notch support, and a robust virtual infrastructure at a very low premium. Be sure to read our full review below to learn more about all the features the host offers with its VPS package.
- 63% off the first month with added discounts
- Real-time redundancy powered by a cloud infrastructure
- FREE cPanel licenses with enterprise-grade CentOS
- FREE server management for patches and updates
- FREE SSDs and SSL certificate for fast, secure hosting
- Get started on InMotion now.
Best Cheap “Dedicated” WordPress Hosting
Speaking of performance, running your WordPress site on a dedicated server is like revving it up with a Ferrari engine. It will give you the highest possible efficiency and speed, but you’re going to pay for it. While there may be some sticker shock involved with the price jump, going dedicated may be the smartest option if you own a large site with big storage needs and if your traffic reaches the 100,000 mark each month.
Though the costs may seem significantly higher than VPS, the best providers’ dedicated hosting packages come complete with 24/7 monitoring and support, SSDs, load balancers, and other managed services. Below is our pick for the dedicated hosting provider that offers first-rate features at some of the industry’s lowest rates.
- 100% network and power uptime guarantees
- Custom configurations, SSDs, and instant provisioning
- Auto-migrations, backups, and 24/7 Sonar Monitoring™
- Block/object storage and load balancer add-ons
- Our visitors pay $79.98/month! (usually $189/month)
- Get started on Liquid Web now.
Best Cheap “Website Builder” WordPress Hosting
A whopping 83% of consumers visit a business’s website before making a decision to make a purchase, and an increasing number of these potential customers are basing their choices partly on the site’s look and feel. A good design creates trust and credibility. So, no matter if you’re selling widgets or blogging about your hobby with WordPress, it’s imperative your design is compelling and provides the most optimal user experience.
Not every site owner has professional web design skills, and the leading hosts know this. That’s why the top-rated hosting providers offer tools that work in tandem with platforms, like WordPress, to make the design-build process more intuitive. Features, such as responsive themes, drag-and-drop editors, and built-in staging, allow even those with no web development experience to create professional-grade, beautiful sites. Below you’ll find our top pick for the hosting package that offers a website builder with an extensive toolset. By reading the full review, you’ll see why this package tops our WordPress website builder list.
- FREE drag-and-drop WordPress website builder software
- WordPress pre-installed by the InMotion Hosting team
- Pre-built and customizable content with GridBlocks
- FREE WordPress themes with mobile/tablet editing views
- PayPal integration and shopping carts available
- Get started on BoldGrid now.
WORDPRESS WEBSITE BUILDER
Don’t Assume Inexpensive WordPress Hosting Can’t Be Reliable, Too!
The #ilovewp hashtag has become the battle cry of so many for good reason. The platform’s free, open-source software is available for anyone to use to get their messages online.
The hosting packages presented in this article, whether shared, VPS, dedicated, or website builder-friendly, represent some of the industry’s cheapest rates for powering WordPress sites. But don’t let the low price tags fool you. Our rankings aren’t based on cost alone.
These hosts all offer solid feature sets, quick speeds, and support. They’re not only cost-efficient — they’re reliable. Be sure to check out our comprehensive list of WordPress hosts.