Paralyzed by the commitment and pressure, I held off naming my first dog for weeks after I adopted her. She never even got a name at the shelter, so I resorted to calling my 60-pound mutt Little Girl while I tried to find a moniker that fit just right. When looking for a second dog a year later, however, I had a name and even a nickname picked out before I found the mischievious, obnoxious, and eventual cuddle-bug hound dog.
Whether you’re naming a furbaby, business, child, boat, or website, the perfect name should be short, meaningful, and relevant to the subject. Domain names are no different. As you add names and critters (or domains and websites) to your pack, you’ll have to make sure you have plenty of room in your house (or hosting account).
A hosting company’s domain policies can vary widely, with some placing strict limits and others offering unlimited domains. Still others will give you a free domain for the first year, and a few will even pay your renewal fees for the life of the account. We’ve handpicked a variety of providers that stand out for hosting multiple domain names, no matter the server situation.
Best Overall: “Unlimited Domain” Hosting
Choosing the right domain name for your website or online business is critical for your success. In fact, many argue that registering a domain should come before creating any design or branding elements. With more than 330 million domains already registered and roughly 10 million more reserved every three months, options are not getting easier to find.
Not only is identifying and registering a relevant domain name crucially important, but the company you select to record your domain purchase plays a key role in your success. Not only are there hundreds of accredited registrars, but services, prices, and options to transfer domains can range drastically. We recommend looking for a hosting company that can both register and host your domain. Bonus points for free registrations, unlimited websites, and high marks for storage and bandwidth.
Our top three picks, iPage, InMotion Hosting, and Bluehost, will all pick up the tab for your first domain registration (renewals will eventually cost about $15 per year). All of the iPage hosting plans allow for an unlimited number of domains names, while InMotion and Bluehost save that perk for the higher tiers of shared hosting.
- FREE domain registration and transfer
- Unlimited disk space, domains, and MySQL databases
- $100 towards Google AdWords and $100 in SEM credits
- Unlimited bandwidth and email addresses
- FREE online store and website builder
- Get started on iPage now.
- FREE domain name and seamless site transfer
- Includes 1-click installer with over 310 apps
- FREE SSDs for shared business hosting plans
- Easy installs for WordPress, Joomla, and PrestaShop
- FREE data backups and complimentary SSL certificate
- Get started on InMotion Hosting now.
- FREE domain name registration and site-building tools
- Get up to unlimited domains, emails, and bandwidth
- Over $150 in offers with Google, Bing, and Yahoo!
- 1-click WordPress install and WordPress’s endorsement
- 24/7 customer support and online tutorials
- Get started on Bluehost now.
Best Hosting for Multiple Domains & Emails
Many online business or website owners opt to find domain hosting plans with strong email services. The custom domain name lends more credibility, professionalism, and authority than the standard Gmail or Yahoo email address.
If a name-brand email address is important to you or your business, be sure to look for a hosting plan that includes unlimited email addresses, plenty of space, web-based access, and tools for forwarding and autoresponders, along with spam filters, an antivirus program, and the various supported protocols. This host is our favorite for email hosting:
- FREE site transfers and 1-year domain name registration
- Unlimited domains, disk space, and email addresses
- Email forwarding, autoresponders, and WebMail
- Market your site with $300 in ad credits and SEO tools
- FREE online store and site-building tools
- Get started on iPage now.
Best Hosting for Multiple Domains with Website Builder
Maybe, instead of email, your key to hosting happiness lies in a professional or visually appealing website. If your artful eye outpaces your web design and coding skills, you may be best served by a domain and web hosting account that comes with a free site builder.
These tools typically come with hundreds of customizable templates that can be adjusted through a drag-and-drop interface. Templates are almost always responsive or mobile-friendly, and the best site builders enable users to easily add an eCommerce store, calendar system, or other add-ons that boost functionality and interactivity for your business website. Our pick accomplishes all of these metrics with aplomb:
- No coding skills needed with drag-and-drop website builder
- 100s of templates with industry-specific designs
- Add features via the App Market
- Build an eCommerce store easily
- Build small sites on a budget
- Get started on Wix now.
Best “Shared” Hosting for Multiple Domains
Domain services are perhaps the most varied — and marketed — at the ultra-competitive shared hosting level, which is where most customers will probably want to start. Shared hosting is the least expensive option because a server’s resources are divvied up among hundreds or sometimes thousands of customers. Most major shared hosting providers will include a free domain registration when you sign up, but you will definitely want to read the fine print when it comes to transfers, renewals, and refunds.
When looking for a strong shared hosting plan for your domain names, our most recommended provider includes plenty of disk space and data transfers for housing multiple websites and withstanding the traffic they receive. Be sure to keep an eye out for upgraded features, such as a content delivery network, advertising credits, site builder, or solid-state drives.
- Known for high-performance, low-cost shared hosting
- FREE website builder with 1,000s of templates
- Endorsed by the WordPress.org team as a top WP host
- FREE CDN accelerates your site’s page loading
- Usually $7.99/month, but our visitors pay $2.95/month
- Get started on Bluehost now.
Best “VPS” Hosting for Multiple Domains
As you move up the hosting ladder, information on domain hosting can become more scarce. Customers who have grown a business or website to a level where virtual servers make the most sense, many hosts prefer to tout the advantages found in their infrastructure, rather than the relatively extraneous add-on services.
That being said, domain-friendly VPS hosts typically want to hold onto their most successful customers and offer the same registration and transfer services. With more computing resources available, unlimited domain names and websites become more commonplace. Here’s where free migrations become super important, as many of our top hosts offer hassle-free transfers with little to no downtime. We picked the following host for its service, support, security, and scalability:
- 50% off the first month with added discounts
- Real-time redundancy powered by a cloud infrastructure
- FREE cPanel licenses with enterprise-grade CentOS
- FREE server management for patches and updates
- FREE SSDs and SSL certificate for fast, secure hosting
- Get started on InMotion now.
Best “Dedicated” Hosting for Multiple Domains
If you’re paying around $100 or more per month for server space, a $15-per-year domain name seems rather trivial. Those needing top-notch performance, security, and reliability, however, certainly don’t want to scrimp on domain hosting features. Because of the customizable, built-to-order nature of dedicated server configuration, multiple domains are typically a cinch to register and host. The added perks you’ll want to look for include dedicated IP addresses and premium DNS services. Here’s our go-to resource for all things dedicated hosting:
- 100% network and power uptime guarantees
- Custom configurations, SSDs, and instant provisioning
- Auto-migrations, backups, and 24/7 Sonar Monitoring™
- Block/object storage and load balancer add-ons
- Our visitors pay $96.75/month! (usually $129/month)
- Get started on Liquid Web now.
Host One or More Domains, Emails, and Sites on a Single Account
Even though I occasionally call my dogs by the wrong name — a trait I inherited from parents who sometimes swapped my name for my sister’s — you can rest assured that the hosting providers listed here will do a much better job of keeping your domain names organized and secure as they deliver visitors to your website with speed.
Spreading your hosting and website bets across multiple domains increases your chance of success while ensuring you get the most out of your money. Rather than paying for separate accounts for each domain, prospective hosting customers ruled by strict budgets need not fret: Affordable and free domains are readily available on hosting plans that serve a variety of needs.